The Student Room Group

Did/do you ever get lonely at university?

like e.g. when you come home and are in your room alone, do you ever get this huge wave of loneliness rushing through? and if so what do you do

will be nice to know I'm not the only one since everyone just loves acting happy over here so i have no idea who to ask
Original post by intoxycated
like e.g. when you come home and are in your room alone, do you ever get this huge wave of loneliness rushing through? and if so what do you do

will be nice to know I'm not the only one since everyone just loves acting happy over here so i have no idea who to ask

I did occasionally, the more busy I was the less lonely I felt though. Things that helped= finding something to do on my laptop to distract me like playing a game, putting on a favourite tv show or film and chatting to people online.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I did occasionally, the more busy I was the less lonely I felt though. Things that helped= finding something to do on my laptop to distract me like playing a game, putting on a favourite tv show or film and chatting to people online.

Reply 3
Have you not made as many friends at uni or is because of the workload?
Reply 4
Well considering I didn't know the names of anyone in my flat let alone befriend them..
The one time I can remember is at the start, a few weeks in at university where I was like :erm: I'm not getting any of this, I miss my friends/family from back home, haven't really fit in etc etc.and wanted to drop out, but apart from that it's been okay.

I think you just have to do your best to get... 'enough' friends and do things on a regular basis, interact with them etc. I don't have a huge amount of friends at uni but I have just enough so that there's always someone to talk to or a group of people to do stuff with, and when those things happen I feel 'recharged' (it's strange, but I can't really explain it) and I can go for long periods of time before doing anything similar.

I hate to say it because I don't know how useful they would be (at some places, it is said not to be of much use) but kind of student services or nightline, things like that, you can talk to if you want someone to talk to.
Loneliness when surrounded by thousands of people is far worse then loneliness when you're alone.
Reply 7
You're not the only one, happened to me :frown:
I did many times, esp when I wasn't busy and other friends were busy with the friends I didn't particularly like because of their "social activities" shall I say.

However, it wasn't the end of the world, because they would text me asking if I'd hang out and vice versa.

Uni doesn't have to be a lonely road, but it is hard to find friends that fit into your personality and lifestyle and vice vera. But friendship takes time to develop and that only comes with time.

If you have friends atm, but don't consider them as "true" friends, or "close" friends, then you need to change that. If they're not willing to message you or meet up and you think you're putting all the effort into it, then it's not a friendship as any relationship is a two-way thing.

If you're also in first year, it does get A LOT better!
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well considering I didn't know the names of anyone in my flat let alone befriend them..

wait, as in you lived with them for the whole academic year and didnt know their names?
Reply 10
Original post by madmadmax321
wait, as in you lived with them for the whole academic year and didnt know their names?

Yeah, dunno how
Quite a bit sometimes, yeah.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yeah, dunno how

not sure if thats bad or impressive tbh, did you never see them or anything when you were in the flat?
Reply 13
Original post by madmadmax321
not sure if thats bad or impressive tbh, did you never see them or anything when you were in the flat?

lol maybe both. Just didn't use the kitchen to be honest; almost exclusively got the cheapest prepared store bought food I could get instead. I would sometimes say hey if I saw someone but most of the time I wouldn't see anyone. There was also the fact that they apparently specifically put people who wrote that they wanted somewhere quiet in applications and my lack off effort was met with an equal lack of effort. I think it was just a sort of stubbornness where I didn't see them much early on and then as time grew on I became less and less willing to interact since it felt more and more awkward given that I hadn't already. It's weird because though I am somewhat shy I would just get over it in societies and stuff but I did not do the same in the most common/natural arena for getting to know people
Yes.

the "university experience" is horribly overrated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending