Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I met a guy who I liked but I feel is very socially awkward. He seems shy but we have spoken a few times and got on well. As time has gone on his behaviour has knocked my confidence. He will stare at me from across the room. When I speak to him, a few minutes later he will say he is going to speak to someone else.

One time we both told each other we liked each other but his excuse was I should have snapped him up a long time ago and that all I have is my looks. I have no idea when the opportunity of snapping him up was he never actually told me he liked me or asked me out. I felt angry as I do not go around flaunting myself and him insulting me about my looks is saying I am not relationship material. He made it worse rejecting me and then said straight after he still liked me.

Various occasions he will promise mutual friends he is coming out then doesn't turn up or let anyone know and when he does come it is for an hour and then he disappears without saying goodbye. I am sick and tired of getting my hopes up.

People tell me I am pretty girl and said this may intimidate him. This guy makes me feel worthless with the staring, confessions of liking me but then insulting me. I don't understand is if he was that bothered about me then why is he on match.com. Does this seem like mind games liking the attention or could he have issues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met a guy who I liked but I feel is very socially awkward. He seems shy but we have spoken a few times and got on well. As time has gone on his behaviour has knocked my confidence. He will stare at me from across the room. When I speak to him, a few minutes later he will say he is going to speak to someone else.

One time we both told each other we liked each other but his excuse was I should have snapped him up a long time ago and that all I have is my looks. I have no idea when the opportunity of snapping him up was he never actually told me he liked me or asked me out. I felt angry as I do not go around flaunting myself and him insulting me about my looks is saying I am not relationship material. He made it worse rejecting me and then said straight after he still liked me.

Various occasions he will promise mutual friends he is coming out then doesn't turn up or let anyone know and when he does come it is for an hour and then he disappears without saying goodbye. I am sick and tired of getting my hopes up.

People tell me I am pretty girl and said this may intimidate him. This guy makes me feel worthless with the staring, confessions of liking me but then insulting me. I don't understand is if he was that bothered about me then why is he on match.com. Does this seem like mind games liking the attention or could he have issues?
    I've been in a similar situation to you, I can totally relate.

But basically this guy is VERY INSECURE ABOUT HIMSELF. These type of people will do anything to knock a persons confidence down, as he's already done to you.

Match.com? It sounds like he's desperate too, and attention seeking.

Honestly he sounds pathetic and you can do so much better. He is INSECURE and doesn't value himself. Loser.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. He's clearly very insecure and feels the need to lash out at you as a result.

Personally I'd just cut him out of my life and say he's gotten his wish. Don't let him damage your confidence, there is nothing wrong with being pretty and I'm sure there is plenty more to you. He clearly just feels he isn't as attractive so needs to try and feel superior in other areas.

So is he the type of person who would struggle to express himself and then be verbally abusive everytime something did not go his way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So is he the type of person who would struggle to express himself and then be verbally abusive everytime something did not go his way?
    Probably, but you know him better than us.

I mean, I wouldn't try to psychoanalyse him, I'd just dump him and move on. You can clearly do better and frankly if you did continue this "relationship" I imagine it would turn into an abusive one.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.