Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hey folks.

My best friend has battled depression for a long time but atm its really taking a bad turn for the worse. Frankly she is spiralling down and she doesn't know how to catch herself. There are things going on in her life (much of which she cant change and just has to battle through) and its this that is bringing her back down.

The last time she was on medication it just zombied her out and she has four children (three of them teenagers) so does not want to go back down that route. Other medications that she has tried did not help/had side affects She has had consulling before and cant get any more on the HSE and does not have the funds to pay for it.

Sadly she is also one of these ones that wont talk unless has no choice, she doesnt like turning to people for help (i can get it out of her but its like pulling teeth at times) - and honestly I'm very worried. I know i cant force it out of her. She doesnt have any family nearby either.

I cant change whats going on in her life but I've come up with some ideas that may help - I've been down the depression route myself and these helped me.

1. Getting her to sleep properly - she sleeps about 2 hours a night and then crashes for 12 every three days or so.
    2. Eating - unless I'm with her and we go out for food she has this habit of just eating junk like biscuits and chocolate.
    3. Get her off her phone somehow - she lives on it, either on social media or chatting to online friends around the world. This also contributes to her lack of sleep as she spends hours chatting to people around the world till stupid oclock in the morning.
    4. Exercise. - I'm going to suggest the two of us going for a walk every evening. I work till fairly late but while the weathers warm(ish) we can take advantage of it. It will be quiet and we can talk or just enjoy the silence.
    5. Adult colouring books - sounds silly I know but these are reportedly very therapeutic.
    6. Sleeping aids such as calming teas and lavender oil - she wont do pills.
    7. - Reading, Im going to loan her my ereader already loaded with her favourite books. She needs to take time out for herself and have some quiet time - hard enough with teenagers (who can be very unruly) i know but she needs some alone and switch off time.

Thats what I've got so far, can anyone suggest anything else?

Thank you.

You are a very good friend!! But I have depression and prefer talking and confiding in people who have experienced depression because they understand when you talk about weird things (like how it feels as tho a ghost is always there) so maybe try to connect her to someone who has suffered and is over it and can offer advice

(Original post by Anonymous)
    You are a very good friend!! But I have depression and prefer talking and confiding in people who have experienced depression because they understand when you talk about weird things (like how it feels as tho a ghost is always there) so maybe try to connect her to someone who has suffered and is over it and can offer advice
    Got that covered, a lot of what she is going through/feeling is where i was.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It might be good for her to come off the phone a bit, but not completely. I've found some great friends online. I actually went away and stayed with a group of them for 5 weeks late last year, and I try and meet the ones I'm close with that are in the same country whenever I can. While she shouldn't completely throw herself into the online world and ignore the real one, it is still a really helpful tool when used well. Just something to keep in mind

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.