Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    for a reaction equation if you want to find out the energy released do you have to calculate the change in mass first and then use it in the equation E=mc^2 in order to find out the energy released?the question is on the attachment below. please have a look at it and let me know what you think thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you need to calculate the difference in mass between the reactants and products. This mass difference can be converted into the energy released using E = mc^2.

Alternatively, as you are given the mass in terms of u, you can find the mass in terms of u and use the conversion 1 u = 931.5 MeV/c^2 to find the energy released in MeV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlesanaWill)
    Yes, you need to calculate the difference in mass between the reactants and products. This mass difference can be converted into the energy released using E = mc^2.

Alternatively, as you are given the mass in terms of u, you can find the mass in terms of u and use the conversion 1 u = 931.5 MeV/c^2 to find the energy released in MeV.
    So basically should i convert that nuclear mass given in the question to MeV first and then takes it from there? Or is it not nessecarry ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alen.m)
    So basically should i convert that nuclear mass given in the question to MeV first and then takes it from there? Or is it not nessecarry ?
    Convert all the masses into units of u and find the mass difference. The energy released is then 931.5 multiplied by this value, in MeV. (Assume the neutrino is massless.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlesanaWill)
    Convert all the masses into units of u and find the mass difference. The energy released is then 931.5 multiplied by this value, in MeV. (Assume the neutrino is massless.)
    So masses has to be in the u unit all the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alen.m)
    So masses has to be in the u unit all the time?
    The conversion to kg in the definitions sheet doesn't have enough significant figures. see MS. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...MS-JUN13.PDF#4

tbh I think that's a bit of a shady way of denying a mark but I guess that's how the examiner wants you to play it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.