Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 12 and am TERRIFIED for university. I'm scared about the course content, like, if I'll be good at it, if I'll make friends OK, if I'll get on with my room mates, if anyone wants to share a room with me for the second year...any advice?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by bobbybobby98)
    I am in Year 12 and am TERRIFIED for university. I'm scared about the course content, like, if I'll be good at it, if I'll make friends OK, if I'll get on with my room mates, if anyone wants to share a room with me for the second year...any advice?
    I think it's fairly natural, especially at your age. I'd like to think that you'll feel more prepared in maybe a year's time. Course content etc, you'll have to do your research properly and factor that in when looking at applying. You don't want to study things that you find boring - trust me on that one!

Also, it's okay not to get on well with your housemates. Okay, it's not ideal, but you can just ignore them or not talk to them, or if things get too bad, you can ask to move.

The rest.. it'll be difficult/worrying at first, you know, but you've just got to go with it and do your best to make sure that those things don't happen.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I was in the same position as you at first. I hated drinking/partying, and uni life was always portrayed to be just that. I was terrified of not being able to make friends, and the difficulty of the workload.

Once I got to uni, it was very daunting, but if you throw yourself in and make yourself open to meeting new people and doing things you usually feel uncomfortable with, then suddenly you see everything isn't so bad. I went to a club, drank out, and suddenly I started wondering why I was so worried. I found that if a situation is daunting and uncomfortable, it's a good thing; it means you're growing. Don't be scared to introduce yourself to people either. I was quite reserved in freshers week because I was so nervous, but once I started approaching people or edging into people's conversations, I realised it was all OK!

Similarly, I found the people I was living with weren't my best friends, and the same for people I met in freshers week. Don't be scared by that. I made an entirely new group of friends in second year, and again in third year... Just be open and friendly, and don't be put off if things don't immediately work out.

In terms of the work load, just keep on top of your work and things will be less daunting. I found that it took me until after Christmas to really get used to it, so once again, don't panic if you don't feel like you're totally engaged with it immediately. Just keep on top of it and look back on it during revision time

I sound exactly like you; worrying about the unknown and then realising it's not so bad after I'm in the dreaded situation! Take it from me - there is no reason to worry if you stay friendly, open and dedicated to the studies you want to do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.