Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will I have to write a lot of essays during the year that are part of/not part of coursework? Also how many books and pieces would I have to read, you probably couldn’t give me a precise answer because every college has different exam boards but if I was doing AQA? I know I’m asking a lot of questions and all but I really don’t know what to expect. Also will I have a book or the text that I’m writing about in the exam with me or will I need to memorise certain quotes? Also is it too much work to be doing it with two equally if not harder subjects: Biology and Chemistry? Please answer, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    which subject are you referring to about quotes?

(Original post by gryffindor2460)
    Will I have to write a lot of essays during the year that are part of/not part of coursework? Also how many books and pieces would I have to read, you probably couldn’t give me a precise answer because every college has different exam boards but if I was doing AQA? I know I’m asking a lot of questions and all but I really don’t know what to expect. Also will I have a book or the text that I’m writing about in the exam with me or will I need to memorise certain quotes? Also is it too much work to be doing it with two equally if not harder subjects: Biology and Chemistry? Please answer, thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by gryffindor2460)
    It's English, of course you will have to write essays... You have to practice your essay-writing style and develop them at usually a fast pace, especially if you're doing the AS exams. You won't start coursework until May/June.

At AS, you will study 4 texts. Usually 2 prose and one drama and one poetry anthology. Or if you pick the A-level (without AS exams), you'll have to study 8 texts over the two years which is hardly anything where the old spec, you had to study 12!

Your question whether your exam will be either an open or closed book examination is dependent upon your exam board. You need to find out by looking at AQA's website.

I can't say it's harder than those subjects as A) I never did those and B) A-level is subjective. One person can tell you it's easy to get an A and another can tell you it's so easy to memorise quotes. How you find it is how you find out. Don't rely on everyone's thoughts as it's not that black or white.

Hope you enjoy it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.