Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've just come back from the test centre and have failed my theory test a second time. The first time was back in October and to be honest I was busy with work and stuff and forgot I had it so I didn't do any study , unsurprisingly I failed by three marks.

Today I had done a few hours of study in the few days before the test but I failed by one mark... did fine on the hazard perception bit I think my mind skipped on a question about traffic signs. So I want to focus on the theory questions themselves. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best preparation software is for the theory test? I was originally using Driving Test Success as well as the DVSA iPhone apps.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    that even making me more scared :afraid:
    i am thinking of doing mine as well :yep:
    what questions did you find hard

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about software, however I used a website called Theory Test Pro, which had practice questions on every topic to answer, plus practice clips for hazard perception. I passed my theory first time using that, along with the official DVSA theory test book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    that even making me more scared :afraid:
    i am thinking of doing mine as well :yep:
    what questions did you find hard
    lol to be honest I'm pretty embarassed I failed more than once because most people I've spoken to passed first or second time. I don't think I'm preparing enough or properly hence why I asked how other people prepared.

A lot of questions are somewhat common-sense, I say this hesitantly as you should still study them, but they are things like the attitude you should take to driving and how aware you should be, I found a lot of questions were giving scenarios where another driver did something wrong and you answer how you should react, which for the purpose of the test isn't blowing your horn and raising your middle finger up at them . The questions I found difficult were the ones which require a knowledge of the Highway Code and a knowledge of traffic signs and traffic rules. Motorway questions are also hard to learn as learner drivers can't go on motorways.

i wouldn't be scared of it, it isn't like a GCSE or an A Level where it can affect your life and you have to wait months to resit it. Nor is it like the practical test where you are in control of an actual vehicle. Just study properly unlike me and you should do fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I'm not sure about software, however I used a website called Theory Test Pro, which had practice questions on every topic to answer, plus practice clips for hazard perception. I passed my theory first time using that, along with the official DVSA theory test book
    Thanks, is that free to use?

ReputationRep:
    I got 47/50 first time, just did all the questions from a question bank app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Thanks, is that free to use?
    I think you have to pay to use it, however you can trial it for free to see if you like it before you pay for it.

However, I used my instructors account so that I didn't have to pay for it, so maybe you could ask them whether they use it?

ReputationRep:
    I used a copy of the highway code for myrevision. It was extremely useful!
    It has everything you need to know in it and i think there were questions too!
    My instructor also taught me a fair amount of the theory whilst i was driving.
    Also are you able to go to the companys local office? If so then go there and do some practice theory tests. If you can that is!
    I did two of them and they helped massively!
    I passed first time 49/50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I think you have to pay to use it, however you can trial it for free to see if you like it before you pay for it.

However, I used my instructors account so that I didn't have to pay for it, so maybe you could ask them whether they use it?
    Ah cool, thanks I'll have a look!

(Original post by FireFreezer77)
    I used a copy of the highway code for myrevision. It was extremely useful!
    It has everything you need to know in it and i think there were questions too!
    My instructor also taught me a fair amount of the theory whilst i was driving.
    Also are you able to go to the companys local office? If so then go there and do some practice theory tests. If you can that is!
    I did two of them and they helped massively!
    I passed first time 49/50.
    Cool I'll see if I can get a copy of the highway code, I think I have one but it might be out of date.

Do you mean the DVSA's local office, or Pearson's? My driving instructor is independent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.