Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay for a 22 year old female to date a 19 year old male? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I met this guy at the pub and we got on really well, been texting for a week and he wants to take me on a date. I found out he's only 19, I know it's legal etc but is it socially acceptable? I feel like people always judge older women more if they go out with younger men than the other way around.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go for it, do! It's your business, no one else's. If it was the guy who was 22 and the girl 19, no one would care at all; I think it's ridiculous that anyone would judge because it's the other way around

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's fine, 3 years' difference really isn't that much. I know a lot of people with a way bigger difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoePFR)
    Yeah it's fine, 3 years' difference really isn't that much. I know a lot of people with a way bigger difference.
    Report them to the authorities
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's cool.

ReputationRep:
    Smash like yo mario

ReputationRep:
    3 years is nothing, if it was 5 then maybe you could start having queries. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    My brother (20) has been going out with his girlfriend (23 I think) for a while and as far as I'm aware no ones said anything about the age difference, to be honest three years difference isn't a lot so I think you should try and give it a chance if people do say stuff then that just proves their friendship to you but seeing as you've only met him I think it's only fair to give it a chance have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdrinkme)
    I met this guy at the pub and we got on really well, been texting for a week and he wants to take me on a date. I found out he's only 19, I know it's legal etc but is it socially acceptable? I feel like people always judge older women more if they go out with younger men than the other way around.
    Why not? who cares about society? Live your life as freely as you want

ReputationRep:
    As long as you guys are in the same position of life then of course it's fine. I say this because it's different when it's a gcse student and then a university student. But 3 years is nothing in terms of the actual gap without context

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 years is perfectly fine!
    What truely matters is the connection between the two of you!
    If you two love each other then thats all thay matters. Its your private life and no one can tell you what you can or cant do in it!

ReputationRep:
    Pfft don't date a bloody 19 yr old no matter what your age is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    As long as you guys are in the same position of life then of course it's fine. I say this because it's different when it's a gcse student and then a university student. But 3 years is nothing in terms of the actual gap without context

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :rofl: yea. But still 3 yrs depending on where it's a bit of a gap. It's like does she want a lover or a baby brother. Dunno. Sure it might feel nice but is it wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    :rofl: yea. But still 3 yrs depending on where it's a bit of a gap. It's like does she want a lover or a baby brother. Dunno. Sure it might feel nice but is it wise.
    Say if they're both at university or at the same stage of life, what does it matter? 3 years is nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Pfft don't date a bloody 19 yr old no matter what your age is.
    rude

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Imo as long as youre both over the age of consent age then it doesnt matter what age you are, whether youre 50 and hes 20 or if hes 50 and youre 20. As long as its genuine love and care and both want to be in the relationship then go for it, who cares if 'society' doesnt 'approve' of it?

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. I dated someone three years younger, wasn't a big deal at all.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.