Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning for a required practical and I'm asked to prepare approx 0.02 mol/dm3 of acidified potassium manganate. I'm provided with 1 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.

How would I go about this. I have worked out that 0.79g of KMnO4 is needed but does the acid affect the concentration when added?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by michaelfish1998)
    I'm planning for a required practical and I'm asked to prepare approx 0.02 mol/dm3 of acidified potassium manganate. I'm provided with 1 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.

How would I go about this. I have worked out that 0.79g of KMnO4 is needed but does the acid affect the concentration when added?
    no, just use it instead of water...

... on a side note, how's the weather?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    no, just use it instead of water...

... on a side note, how's the weather?
    4)
    Prepare 1000 ml of 0.01 mol/dm3 potassium manganate (VII) solution by weighing out approximately 0.01 moles of potassium manganate (VII) and dissolve it in 100 ml of 2 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.
    5) This is transferred to a 1000 ml volumetric flask and made up to the mark with deionised water.

I will probably be making less than 1 litre of the solution

I found some instructions for making the acidified manganate but this says to use both the acid and water???? any ideas?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by michaelfish1998)
    4)
    Prepare 1000 ml of 0.01 mol/dm3 potassium manganate (VII) solution by weighing out approximately 0.01 moles of potassium manganate (VII) and dissolve it in 100 ml of 2 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid.
    5) This is transferred to a 1000 ml volumetric flask and made up to the mark with deionised water.

I will probably be making less than 1 litre of the solution

I found some instructions for making the acidified manganate but this says to use both the acid and water???? any ideas?
    Answered your PM

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.