Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all,

has anyone ever had presumably somatoform (anxiety-induced) physical symptoms, but recognised that they are not real?

I am currently going through some investigations for a liver problem and was initially really worried about it but then managed to reassure myself that it would be benign. But literally 2 days after I started feeling better about it, I had a feeling in the back of my throat like something was stuck there. Ever since I have been worried about it and constantly conscious of swallowing.

Today, I woke up and felt like my right leg was weak, but I have tested it properly and it definitely isn't weaker than the other side, it just feels strange when I'm sitting down. and lo and behold - the swallowing is back to normal!

Any similar experiences? I'm wondering whether my body is just forcing me to have things to worry about?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,

has anyone ever had presumably somatoform (anxiety-induced) physical symptoms, but recognised that they are not real?

I am currently going through some investigations for a liver problem and was initially really worried about it but then managed to reassure myself that it would be benign. But literally 2 days after I started feeling better about it, I had a feeling in the back of my throat like something was stuck there. Ever since I have been worried about it and constantly conscious of swallowing.

Today, I woke up and felt like my right leg was weak, but I have tested it properly and it definitely isn't weaker than the other side, it just feels strange when I'm sitting down. and lo and behold - the swallowing is back to normal!

Any similar experiences? I'm wondering whether my body is just forcing me to have things to worry about?
    It's basically a form of health anxiety. I've managed to convince myself I had some rare incurable disease eventhough I knew logically that I was fine. My advice would be to try to ignore the worries rather than logic them away (your brain will always find a way around the logic). When I say ignore, I do not mean it will be easy or anything and the thoughts won't just disappear- just try your best not to get dragged in. Your body tends to try to justify anxiety by presenting symptoms it shouldn't have. Kinda like a placebo pill- your brain says "you have this condition and this condition causes this symptom" and your body presents the symptom it's supposed to have just like if you were given a sugar pill and told it would get rid of your headache you would notice an improvement. Try telling yourself that yes there is always a slim chance of something bad, but it is unlikely and worrying about it wouldn't help you.

I would also suggest you tell a doctor. It's linked to anxiety and they can help you ovecome or improve it through therapy or other advice. You are by no means alone- it's really common- so please don't be embarassed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.