Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are politicians disagreeing on something objective? Watch

ReputationRep:
    By this I mean the amount of money they spend on various things. Politicians are being called "liars" because they quote the "wrong" figure on how much we've spent on x or much we spend a week on something.

Surely a figure is something they can all agree on so the entire EU argument can stop being so biased? All those arguing to leave or remain are denying that there are any pros on the side they don't agree with. Immature really.

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    By this I mean the amount of money they spend on various things. Politicians are being called "liars" because they quote the "wrong" figure on how much we've spent on x or much we spend a week on something.

Surely a figure is something they can all agree on so the entire EU argument can stop being so biased? All those arguing to leave or remain are denying that there are any pros on the side they don't agree with. Immature really.

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Politics to me seem to be very corrupt

ReputationRep:

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Any figure is a statistic and a statistic can be manipulated to say whatever you want it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Any figure is a statistic and a statistic can be manipulated to say whatever you want it to.
    I agree but people seem to disagree on the actual statistic itself. Rather than what it means.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree but people seem to disagree on the actual statistic itself. Rather than what it means.
    Because you can't decide on what it means until you decide on what is being measured.

Each side has a different motivation about what it wants to measure so therefore will never agree what it actually means.

It's politics. Nothing more, nothing less. Twas ever thus.

ReputationRep:
    By this I mean the amount of money they spend on various things
    Leave have used a silly, notional figure (£350m), whereas the figures they should have used are (£250m gross/£165m net)

All those arguing to leave or remain are denying that there are any pros on the side they don't agree with. Immature really. What do you guys think?
    Agreed. Check my analysis at the link below for what I understand to be is 100% factual analysis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Leave have used a silly, notional figure (£350m), whereas the figures they should have used are (£250m gross/£165m net)

Agreed. Check my analysis at the link below for what I understand to be is 100% factual analysis
    I will do so now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    But the lower figures do not tell the whole story. Many aspects of EU finance are derived from the higher gross (£360 billion, not £350 billion, by the way) figure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Many aspects of EU finance are derived from the higher gross (£360 billion, not £350 billion, by the way) figure
    350 million = pre-rebate, gross EU average weekly membership fee dues for UK

ReputationRep:
    Oops. I meant millions, of course, not billions.

ReputationRep:
    There are lies, lies and damn lies. Getting the figures wrong is so common, Radio 4 have a dedicated programme (More or Less) that regularly calls politicians out on their misusing of facts and statistics. And yes - the £350 million lie was discussed at length.

But then you have the sort of lies by people like George Osborne where he slips passing comments into his budget which on the face of it seem like a good thing, but in the detail are swinging cuts - like the fact that students will retrospectively end up paying more for their loans.

And then there is Boris Johnson...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.