Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 and its come to that point in the year where I am looking at university courses and going on open days. I really want to study psychology at university and carry it on as a career. However, the universities I have been looking at all want a B or above in maths GCSE but I only have a C. Is anyone else in the same position / does anyone know whether my application won't be considered at all.
    I would like to mention I got all As in my science GCSEs and I am predicted A*A*A*.(Psychology, Sociology and Religious Studies). The Universities I am looking at want AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Universities (from my experience) have been pretty strict on the C in maths. I'd say email the university you're particularly interested in and tell them your situation and ask if you can be considered without retaking maths.

If you really don't want to retake maths (I don't advise this if they really want you to) then look at universities that want a C and apply to those as well as the B ones. The reason I say it's a risk not retaking maths is because I wanted to go to a university that wanted a B and I had a C so I was rejected. If your heart is set on a university that wants a B, I strongly suggest you ask and retake it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can resit maths in year 13. They will see this on your application. Idk if they would consider you or not if you didn't have the B and you weren't going to resit. They usually ask for a B because there is an element of maths in the course. If unsure call the uni up and ask if they will reject you if you don't have the grade.

The edexcel psychology paper was mad hard! Will i still be able to apply?

ReputationRep:
    Universities like maths at A-level so if you don't have that I think they are pretty strict on the B in maths at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucybeee)
    I am currently in year 12 and its come to that point in the year where I am looking at university courses and going on open days. I really want to study psychology at university and carry it on as a career. However, the universities I have been looking at all want a B or above in maths GCSE but I only have a C. Is anyone else in the same position / does anyone know whether my application won't be considered at all.
    I would like to mention I got all As in my science GCSEs and I am predicted A*A*A*.(Psychology, Sociology and Religious Studies). The Universities I am looking at want AAA.
    Dont worry im also in exactly the same position and im sure on what to do. Those i have looked at with just the C in maths include Oxford Brookes and Brighton which i will most probably apply for. But southampton looks amazing, not sure whether to retake the maths.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology at uni often involves statistics, if you never even took maths for a level they are going to want you to at least get a B at GCSE. But dont worry because you can resit or look for unis that want minimum C at GCSE.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.