The Student Room Group

Tips for writing personal statement

I am currently in the start of Y13 and will be applying for university soon, hopefully to study psychology! I am just wondering how to make my personal statement look really good when applying for a psychology course as I've heard that a good idea is to apply psychology to your life throughout your personal statement. Also I've heard that further reading into psychology is a good thing to put on your personal statement, so any recommendations would be appreciated!
I've applied for psychology too! I've just finished year 13 (: I talked about work experience/jobs and how I applied psychology to general life. So for example, I've had work experience with young children so I talked about how learning Bowlby's theory in AS Psychology taught me about the importance of secure secondary attachments, and how I used that knowledge in a real world scenario

Also you can talk about any lectures you've gone to or books you've read outside of school and what you learnt from them

Where are you thinking of applying? Different unis focus on different parts of psychology, e.g social or biological, so if you know you're applying to all biological courses, focus your personal statement towards that!

Hope I've helped (:
Reply 2
Thankyou that's really helpful! I was thinking about linking it to my job talking about the positive reinforcement I've got from making coffee haha

I'm considering unis like Sheffield, York, and Leeds Trinity. Depending on what grades I get at the end of this year!

Thankyou for your help :smile: hope you enjoy your course!
Reply 3
Original post by mthornbirds1
Thankyou that's really helpful! I was thinking about linking it to my job talking about the positive reinforcement I've got from making coffee haha

I'm considering unis like Sheffield, York, and Leeds Trinity. Depending on what grades I get at the end of this year!

Thankyou for your help :smile: hope you enjoy your course!

what what are their grade requirements??
Original post by mthornbirds1
I am currently in the start of Y13 and will be applying for university soon, hopefully to study psychology! I am just wondering how to make my personal statement look really good when applying for a psychology course as I've heard that a good idea is to apply psychology to your life throughout your personal statement. Also I've heard that further reading into psychology is a good thing to put on your personal statement, so any recommendations would be appreciated!

Have you looked at the lists of suggested reading in our sticky: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3986251 there's a bunch of linked threads with more suggestions too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending