The Student Room Group

Undecided on Trade (RAF)

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if its possible to start the application process without a specific trade in mind and take CBAT without deciding on a trade. There is a few I'm interested in but after seeing how long the process takes i'd like to get the ball rolling.

I'm considering the pilot trade mainly Rpas but if i don't get the CBAT scored needed to do this do they offer me the opportunity to consider different trades or is it simply a rejection and try again next year.

I've read a few threads but couldn't find the answer to my questions, so apologise if its already been asked and answered.
Trade or Branch? Do you have the qualifications and plan on joining as an Officer? You're mixing things up here.
Reply 2
Apologise I believe I mean Branch as i have a degrees so will be applying as an officer. Correct me if I'm wrong though or if that still doesn't make sense.
You need to work out what you want to do BEFORE you try to start an application process. Each of the Branch roles and responsibilities is very different, just like any other collections of different jobs. They all just happen to be for the same 'company'. For example - policeman and airline pilot are VERY different jobs, but the RAF has both.
Application is VERY competitive for all Branches, ESPECIALLY pilot. You really need to work out what you want to do because you might end up doing it for a very long time.
Reply 4
It's also worth mentioning that people might come along and say "oh, but you can join as one thing and then change to another".

This is technically possible, but it's extremely difficult and can be in no way guaranteed. If you join you must be prepared to do your entire time in the role you've joined up as, as PS said.

There have been people coming back from CBATs recently saying "I didn't make the grade for x but they offered me y", so anecdotally it may well happen, but don't rush into this. Take your time and make sure you look at all your options.

Generally speaking, people improve the second time they take the tests, so if you do miss out on the grade you need for your preferred branch first time round, taking some time out to come back again is not the worst thing in the world. 6months / a year is not a long time in the grand scheme of things, even though it may seem like it now.

Quick Reply

Latest