The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering Textbooks

I am on the lookout for good textbooks for first year Mechanical Engineering at Nottingham.

'Engineering Mathematics' and 'Advanced Engineering Mathematics' by Stroud seem to receive great acclaim. Has anyone had a good experience with either/both of these?

Other than the above mentioned, I'm not having much luck finding something that's held in high regard. So can anyone advise me on what to get? If you happen to know the official Nottingham reading list, that would be wonderful.

Cheers
Higher Engineering Mathematics by Bird is great, as is Engineering mathematics by Croft et al; I don't particularly like Stroud's stuff.

I believe staff at Notts have written 'An introduction to mechanical engineering part 1 and 2' --- this will most likely be on your list!
Original post by mechanenger
Higher Engineering Mathematics by Bird is great, as is Engineering mathematics by Croft et al; I don't particularly like Stroud's stuff.

I believe staff at Notts have written 'An introduction to mechanical engineering part 1 and 2' --- this will most likely be on your list!

Yeah, I see Mike Clifford is involved in its creation. :smile: Am I right in assuming that part 1 is for year 1 and part 2 is for year 2?

What is it that you don't like about Stroud's stuff? (I just bought one of his books :colondollar:)
Original post by Engineering Lad
Yeah, I see Mike Clifford is involved in its creation. :smile: Am I right in assuming that part 1 is for year 1 and part 2 is for year 2?

What is it that you don't like about Stroud's stuff? (I just bought one of his books :colondollar:)

There's nothing wrong with Stroud at all - I just really liked the other ones.

I'd assume part 1 will cover your 1st year at Notts. You should email a staff member at the uni - they might help further too

Quick Reply

Latest