Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am on the lookout for good textbooks for first year Mechanical Engineering at Nottingham.

'Engineering Mathematics' and 'Advanced Engineering Mathematics' by Stroud seem to receive great acclaim. Has anyone had a good experience with either/both of these?

Other than the above mentioned, I'm not having much luck finding something that's held in high regard. So can anyone advise me on what to get? If you happen to know the official Nottingham reading list, that would be wonderful.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Higher Engineering Mathematics by Bird is great, as is Engineering mathematics by Croft et al; I don't particularly like Stroud's stuff.

I believe staff at Notts have written 'An introduction to mechanical engineering part 1 and 2' --- this will most likely be on your list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanenger)
    Higher Engineering Mathematics by Bird is great, as is Engineering mathematics by Croft et al; I don't particularly like Stroud's stuff.

I believe staff at Notts have written 'An introduction to mechanical engineering part 1 and 2' --- this will most likely be on your list!
    Yeah, I see Mike Clifford is involved in its creation. Am I right in assuming that part 1 is for year 1 and part 2 is for year 2?

What is it that you don't like about Stroud's stuff? (I just bought one of his books )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engineering Lad)
    Yeah, I see Mike Clifford is involved in its creation. Am I right in assuming that part 1 is for year 1 and part 2 is for year 2?

What is it that you don't like about Stroud's stuff? (I just bought one of his books )
    There's nothing wrong with Stroud at all - I just really liked the other ones.

I'd assume part 1 will cover your 1st year at Notts. You should email a staff member at the uni - they might help further too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.