Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Last week i did a history mock exam...and it went horrible!
    I revised a lot...lots of notes, however this obviously wasn't enough.

The mock exam was on medicine through time and i thought i did pretty well when the exam finished. However, when i went and got my exam back i got an E (44%) which is awful! :erm: My target grade is a B and that is nowhere near!

My teacher told me that i'm not being specific enough and i'm not linking... linking my answer to other things is a problem i have had throughout the whole year and even with my teacher explaining how to link i have still had problems with it.
    I also think my way of revising wasn't effective and was the wrong way for me to revise.

Can anyone please explain how to link? How to be really specific? And could anyone please give me effective ways to revise medicine through time?

Thanks for your help xx

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Its tough history. For answering your question about exam technique just re state the question, trust me. At the beginning of each paragraph just keep saying the word of the question to maintain Question Focus. Being specific is key. I realised, this like you did ,when I did my history mock in year 10. I thought I had done well as I had revised loads but I scraped a B. This as I just wondered off talking about irrelevant stuff.

When u next do a mock or paper underline the question with a different coloured pen. e.g Question= Why was the role of religion important to medicine?

This answer actually came up in my GCSE exam I've just done As I m in Year 11 and finished my GCSEs, anyway back to the question. I would ring/highlight RELIGION and then write 3/4 factors depending on the marks, so for 12 marks which ours was you could do
    -Training
    -Galen
    -Role of Church

Lastly, revision. This is what I did for medicine mocks and the real thing

- Timeline from Romans to 1900c
    -Bought the Edxcel History GCSE B revision guide, this is a must!!
    - Did mind maps and past papers after working through the revision guide

This sounds boring I know but i got a A* on my most recent history mock so there must be justice with my madness

I hope this helps, most of all just remember it all like a giant story and you will become so much better. And by the way don't be dis heartened by your recent mock, use this as a positive guidance for future and trust me you will improve!

Take care
    Jacob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob D)
    Hello,

Its tough history. For answering your question about exam technique just re state the question, trust me. At the beginning of each paragraph just keep saying the word of the question to maintain Question Focus. Being specific is key. I realised, this like you did ,when I did my history mock in year 10. I thought I had done well as I had revised loads but I scraped a B. This as I just wondered off talking about irrelevant stuff.

When u next do a mock or paper underline the question with a different coloured pen. e.g Question= Why was the role of religion important to medicine?

This answer actually came up in my GCSE exam I've just done As I m in Year 11 and finished my GCSEs, anyway back to the question. I would ring/highlight RELIGION and then write 3/4 factors depending on the marks, so for 12 marks which ours was you could do
    -Training
    -Galen
    -Role of Church

Lastly, revision. This is what I did for medicine mocks and the real thing

- Timeline from Romans to 1900c
    -Bought the Edxcel History GCSE B revision guide, this is a must!!
    - Did mind maps and past papers after working through the revision guide

This sounds boring I know but i got a A* on my most recent history mock so there must be justice with my madness

I hope this helps, most of all just remember it all like a giant story and you will become so much better. And by the way don't be dis heartened by your recent mock, use this as a positive guidance for future and trust me you will improve!

Take care
    Jacob
    Hey Thank you so much for reply, it has made me feel so much better an a bit more confident I will do everything you suggested. Also, good luck on getting your GCSE results

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Don't be so disheartened about your History mock grade. January year 10 I got all Us in my mock exams or well 4 Us 4Es 1B, I just sat my real GCSEs this month and expecting majority to be As including History and a few Bs, keep in mind I revised the night before for every single GCSE. Exam technique just youtube it there are loads of videos online, for option 3B I learnt how to structure my answer 30 minutes before the GCSE exam. I never used flash cards I just read the book once, then made notes the second time reading it, then read my notes, then opened a past paper I answered it mentally, then look at mark scheme and finally examiners report and boom set for a good grade. Ever need help PM

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember much about the GCSE syllabus, but when I did my mock I got a D, but I got an A in the end, and I'll hopefully be studying History at university next September, with a predicted A at A-Level. It isn't too late at all!

Has your teacher given you any model essays to look at? These can be really handy if you aren't sure how to do something. If not, see if you know anyone who has achieved full marks (or close to) on an essay and will let you have a look at theirs. The exam board may also have some model essays on their website. This can be really useful as you can see exactly how to get the marks.

Try out lots of different revision techniques, and maybe you could do some online quizzes that tell you what type of learner you are, so you can adapt? I personally like rewriting notes, but everyone is different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.