Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think my friend I manipulating me by making me paranoid that my boyfriend did something bad in the time we were broken for 4 months before getting back together on my birthday a few months ago? He said he was going to tell me what it was but then decided not to. And my boyfriend swears he's told me everything he can remember, and his best friend (who knows basically all there is to know about him) says she can't think of anything he did either? So I seriously think my friend is trying to make me so paranoid that either I break up with my boyfriend or he breaks up with me because he can't deal with the paranoia.
    Not sure why my friend would want to do this to be honest. And he's of the opinion my boyfriend is manipulating me, while to me it feel like he is and not my boyfriend? XD So the manipulation's not working, but how exactly one deal with a manipulative friend when you have to put up with the whole of next year (Starting 2nd year of 6th form in September)? Like I don't wanna feud, and I don't really wanna stop being friends, he's normally a super caring person, if slightly sarcastic and arrogant.
    Any advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by A.J.Sharpe)
    I think my friend I manipulating me by making me paranoid that my boyfriend did something bad in the time we were broken for 4 months before getting back together on my birthday a few months ago? He said he was going to tell me what it was but then decided not to. And my boyfriend swears he's told me everything he can remember, and his best friend (who knows basically all there is to know about him) says she can't think of anything he did either? So I seriously think my friend is trying to make me so paranoid that either I break up with my boyfriend or he breaks up with me because he can't deal with the paranoia.
    Not sure why my friend would want to do this to be honest. And he's of the opinion my boyfriend is manipulating me, while to me it feel like he is and not my boyfriend? XD So the manipulation's not working, but how exactly one deal with a manipulative friend when you have to put up with the whole of next year (Starting 2nd year of 6th form in September)? Like I don't wanna feud, and I don't really wanna stop being friends, he's normally a super caring person, if slightly sarcastic and arrogant.
    Any advice?
    If you believe that your boyfriend hasn't done anything (and realistically, does it really matter if you were broken up at the time?) then you need to tell this friend to back off. Just tell him that you appreciate that he's concerned for you and looking out for you, but that you don't need to hear this any more and that it's an issue between you and your boyfriend. I'd ask him to either tell you what he seems to think your boyfriend has done or stop talking about it. At the end of the day, what goes on between you and your boyfriend is none of his business and if he seriously suspected something and was doing this out of genuine care for your wellbeing then he would have said what it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    If you believe that your boyfriend hasn't done anything (and realistically, does it really matter if you were broken up at the time?) then you need to tell this friend to back off. Just tell him that you appreciate that he's concerned for you and looking out for you, but that you don't need to hear this any more and that it's an issue between you and your boyfriend. I'd ask him to either tell you what he seems to think your boyfriend has done or stop talking about it. At the end of the day, what goes on between you and your boyfriend is none of his business and if he seriously suspected something and was doing this out of genuine care for your wellbeing then he would have said what it was.
    Thanks for the advice c: But turns out that whatever my boyfriend did will never matter because he's now my ex-boyfriend as he dumped me :'c and the manipulative friend has been to only one of my friends to consistently reply to me to cheer me up XD Things change very quickly :/ XD

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.