Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am apparently psychotic... which I don't believe. Let's just say I have a few symptoms of psychosis. Anyway, if I was to get an interview how can I come across as not being psychotic? I need to be honest about my condition without making the interviewees scared and think 'oh they're not ready or fit to study medicine'.

Shall I be honest and say I still am paranoid and have voices or is it best to say I have x condition but I am fine... which they will probably pick up on as being false.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by 1lastchance)
    I am apparently psychotic... which I don't believe. Let's just say I have a few symptoms of psychosis. Anyway, if I was to get an interview how can I come across as not being psychotic? I need to be honest about my condition without making the interviewees scared and think 'oh they're not ready or fit to study medicine'.

Shall I be honest and say I still am paranoid and have voices or is it best to say I have x condition but I am fine... which they will probably pick up on as being false.
    I developed depressive psychosis over the past few months, but I can't really see any need to just mention it out of the blue at an interview. You will probably need to raise it with the Medical School (and should do so) but if it's well controlled, it should be fine. It's not for me to say if you'd be fit to practise Medicine, however, as I don't know your situation but either way, as long as you raise it with Occupational Health or something, I see no reason to need to mention it at interview.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with usycool1 that it is not something you need to raise at interview. It is absolutely something you will need to declare to the medical school before taking up a place. You are will almost certainly be asked about this explicitly but, even if you are not, should make the disclosure voluntarily. Whether or not it impacts on your ability to take up the place will depend on many things but it's likely that uncontrolled symptoms and a question mark hanging over your degree of insight will contribute to that decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1lastchance)

Once you have an offer most medical schools require you to fill some kind of occupational health form or a health declaration. Include it then. No need at interview.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with usycool1 that it is not something you need to raise at interview.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.