Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing some research into divisions within banks and have read a lot, just want to know what views people have on Equity Research, Merchant banking, operational risk, global capital markets and investment banking.

Want some help on what actually happens in all of these areas, What the work load is like, the work day and what the work includes. I understand that i can google all of this (which I have been doing) but I would like some help from others just to make sure I haven't missed anything in my research.

ReputationRep:
    try various diffierent google searches to get a better overview.. the information that people will tell you is already there.

equity research = writing buy/sell/hold recommendations on comapies
    global capital markets = raising money for companies
    investment banking = advising companies on m&a deals and whatever else
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by IBFUTURE)
    I've been doing some research into divisions within banks and have read a lot, just want to know what views people have on Equity Research, Merchant banking, operational risk, global capital markets and investment banking.

Want some help on what actually happens in all of these areas, What the work load is like, the work day and what the work includes. I understand that i can google all of this (which I have been doing) but I would like some help from others just to make sure I haven't missed anything in my research.
    Would look at mergers and inquisitions for this.

Merchant banking is private equity

operational risk is more back office risk, monitoring where in the bank is exceeding risk thresholds

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watch Season 4 of Suits, I think you'll find it quite helpful.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Curry Muncher)
    Watch Season 4 of Suits, I think you'll find it quite helpful.

.....what

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    .....what

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Trust me, you'll get a good insight into investment banking. If you're not familiar with the series, I suggest so watch seasons 1-3 first. You won't regret. Unless of course you've already seen it...

ReputationRep:
    I do watch suits it's a wonderful television show. Thank you to everyone who has replied. You have been very helpful. Feel like I know where I want to be within a bank but now just need to somehow get there in reality.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, you'll get a good insight into investment banking. If you're not familiar with the series, I suggest so watch seasons 1-3 first. You won't regret. Unless of course you've already seen it...
    suits is about law. that mike guy did investment banking for like 3 episodes 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    I thought it was a refreshing change from Law

And to the OP, your welcome

ReputationRep:
    investment banking is nothing like that, at all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    He didn't do IB, he was at a hedge fund

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    He didn't do IB, he was at a hedge fund

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what was his role at sidwell investment group?

ReputationRep:
    an actor
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Some kind of hedge fund analyst/PM hybrid dunno

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.