The Student Room Group

Explanation needed

I've been doing some research into divisions within banks and have read a lot, just want to know what views people have on Equity Research, Merchant banking, operational risk, global capital markets and investment banking.

Want some help on what actually happens in all of these areas, What the work load is like, the work day and what the work includes. I understand that i can google all of this (which I have been doing) but I would like some help from others just to make sure I haven't missed anything in my research.
try various diffierent google searches to get a better overview.. the information that people will tell you is already there.

equity research = writing buy/sell/hold recommendations on comapies
global capital markets = raising money for companies
investment banking = advising companies on m&a deals and whatever else
Original post by IBFUTURE
I've been doing some research into divisions within banks and have read a lot, just want to know what views people have on Equity Research, Merchant banking, operational risk, global capital markets and investment banking.

Want some help on what actually happens in all of these areas, What the work load is like, the work day and what the work includes. I understand that i can google all of this (which I have been doing) but I would like some help from others just to make sure I haven't missed anything in my research.

Would look at mergers and inquisitions for this.

Merchant banking is private equity

operational risk is more back office risk, monitoring where in the bank is exceeding risk thresholds

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Watch Season 4 of Suits, I think you'll find it quite helpful.
Original post by Curry Muncher
Watch Season 4 of Suits, I think you'll find it quite helpful.

.....what

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Trust me, you'll get a good insight into investment banking. If you're not familiar with the series, I suggest so watch seasons 1-3 first. You won't regret. Unless of course you've already seen it...
Reply 6
I do watch suits it's a wonderful television show. Thank you to everyone who has replied. You have been very helpful. Feel like I know where I want to be within a bank but now just need to somehow get there in reality. :smile:
Trust me, you'll get a good insight into investment banking. If you're not familiar with the series, I suggest so watch seasons 1-3 first. You won't regret. Unless of course you've already seen it...

suits is about law. that mike guy did investment banking for like 3 episodes 😂
Original post by tanyapotter

I thought it was a refreshing change from Law :smile:

And to the OP, your welcome :biggrin:

investment banking is nothing like that, at all.

He didn't do IB, he was at a hedge fund

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
He didn't do IB, he was at a hedge fund

Posted from TSR Mobile

what was his role at sidwell investment group?

an actor

Some kind of hedge fund analyst/PM hybrid dunno

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending