Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi everyone this is my first post. I would like to ask you a few questions please and I hope you will help me.
    I'm 19 years old and I just finished Level 2 ICT in city of Bristol college. I'm panicking all over the place! My aim is to go to uni and get a degree(most likely a computer science degree). I just don't know what to do.
    I had a talk with the career adviser and she told me that I could do an access course next year. I kind of liked the idea because it sounds like a straight way to uni yet I'm really worried about it and I don't know if it's a good thing to do.

    Let's say I chose it. What 3 subjects do I need to study so I can go on a computer science in uni?
    Do I need to pay for it? What about A levels do I need to pay for it as well if I chose it?

    I just want to get my degree and found a job and that's it, but I'm just really worried about everything

    I would appreciate your help very much!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    If you haven't done so already, look at some unis to see what their entry requirements are. If you study an Access Course, you'll just be asked for that and possibly some GCSEs. They won't ask for some A levels on top.

    If you have to pay, (and it's all changed since I studied) there's a loan you can take out to pay for your tuition fees.

    Hi there, this year just gone I completed an access to HE course in computing, and now am off to study computer science at Kent university.

    I would strongly recommend an Access course as I was able to get offers from places such as Cardiff, Kent and UWE. Friends on the course went to Bournemouth, UWE and other unis.

    Make sure you have/get a C GCSE maths at least, and if you get a B then better unis will be open to you, like Surrey and Exeter. I only had a C GCSE maths which limited my options.

    Overall go for the access course, it is a great way to get onto a CS degree, just put the effort in to get maximum grades and the very important maths GCSE.

    Any questions shoot em over.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.