The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2016 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Yes, going there at the start of September to start my course in Artificial Intelligence + Computer Science
Original post by GJK98
Sorry, forgot to quote on my last post, I've just noticed.

This year I done: Biology, Computing Science, English, Physics, Mathematics. Biology being my only A from the ABBBB.
At National 5 level I done: English, A; Computing Science, A; Chemistry, A; Graph Comm, A; Physics, B; Maths, B.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum here as I think I'll have to shift my S6 subjects due to my results. I was originally doing: Adv H English, Adv H Computing and H Chemistry. I'm not sure if I would have to take up another subject or replace one this year. I'm confused on what I should do that will benefit me for getting accepted into my preferred Universities. Thanks for the reply as well!

I just had a quick glance at both unis entry requirements.

Edinburgh states that the typical offer will be 4A's at higher. Minimum offer is 2A's 2B's by the end of s5. For Advanced higher they strongly encourage Maths, So I'd ditch English and take AH Maths.

Glasgow:

Require 4 A's at higher or 3 A's and 2 B's, HOWEVER it states that:
Applicants who achieve less than AAAA or AAABB in S5 but achieved at least ABBB MAY receive an offer based on S6 results. A decision will be made in March 2017.

They also say two science subjects must be sat one of which MUST be maths and then any other science OR Maths AND computing.
Reply 162
Today has been the biggest failure of my life so far :frown: , I sat 2 highers and 1 Nat 5 -
English Higher- C
Chemistry Higher- D
Maths N5- C

In S6 I will be doing Higher Maths, Higher Comp Sc, Higher Physics ( I did all these in S5 but I didn't sit the exams )
If I am able to redo Higher Chem and get an A or a B and also get As and Bs with the other Highers im going to resit is there any chance ill be able to get into this Pharmocology course? http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/pharmacology/#/entryrequirements

I would greatly appreciate any advice thank you!
Original post by Shane7
Hi I got all A's but I feel like this was not the correct grade as I feel like I should have gotten B's. How do I contact the SQA to get a remark and get this changed from As to Bs? Thanks

Maybe you worked hard and it paid off. I wouldnt advise getting it remarked, even though your honesty is appreciated :smile:
Original post by Shane7
Hi I got all A's but I feel like this was not the correct grade as I feel like I should have gotten B's. How do I contact the SQA to get a remark and get this changed from As to Bs? Thanks

Lol u make me laugh m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 165
Original post by JP298
Hi again GJK, first of all you made the 3 key choices of subjects this year in your higher. The 3 being Computer Science, Physics and Maths. That's good. I also see you've got a really good set of N5 results and subject choices. If you are sure you want to do Computer Science I would recommend not doing Adv H English. I suggest taking Adv Maths as that's the subject that Computer Science is based on. Also much of the stuff found at that level will be taught again in first year, so it gives you a head start if you choose that. It will also give you an edge at the Glasgow and Edinburgh universities, as they strongly recommend you take it. Take Adv H Computer Science also. Your third subject choice is purely up to you but if you are wanting a strong application then I would suggest either Adv H Physics or H Chemistry.
Academics are only part of your application. You need to have a strong Personal Statement and to do that you need to show interest in Computer Science outside the classroom, whether that by reading books, coding your own projects, attending seminars/talks etc. You also need to be doing Extra-Curricular activities and some sort of volunteering such as being a prefect. Once you start to prepare your application give us a msg and I'll help you with your personal statement. If you have anymore questions, quote me or msg me, I'm more than happy to help!

Thanks for the advice. I chose English because I enjoy novels & poetry but I think you're right that in my current situation, I don't have the luxury of picking a subject solely because I enjoy it. Also, I am doing DofE and making a website for a charity for my Adv Comp folio so I'm building up my personal statement quite well I think. I think I'm going to go with what you said and H Chemistry. Thanks again for the advice.
I got
Accoung Higher-A
Maths Higher- A
Biology Higher -B
Business Management Higher-B
Physics Higher- C

I feel as though these results are not good enough for me to get into a good university for Accounting and finance. I am staying in school for S6 next Year. Any ideas on the next steps I should take?, At this point I feel as though I am sinking.
Thanks
Original post by stormqwd
I got
Accoung Higher-A
Maths Higher- A
Biology Higher -B
Physics Higher- C

I feel as though these results are not good enough for me to get into a good university for Accounting and finance. I am staying in school for S6 next Year. Any ideas on the next steps I should take?, At this point I feel as though I am sinking.
Thanks

Hi there. Do not worry, you are not sinking and those are amazing sets of results. Can you tell me what university you intend on going to so I can help you out a bit more in this matter? Thanks!
Original post by qasim-98
Lol u make me laugh m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't tell if he was being serious...
Reply 169
Original post by A+Hunter
I just had a quick glance at both unis entry requirements.

Edinburgh states that the typical offer will be 4A's at higher. Minimum offer is 2A's 2B's by the end of s5. For Advanced higher they strongly encourage Maths, So I'd ditch English and take AH Maths.

Glasgow:

Require 4 A's at higher or 3 A's and 2 B's, HOWEVER it states that:
Applicants who achieve less than AAAA or AAABB in S5 but achieved at least ABBB MAY receive an offer based on S6 results. A decision will be made in March 2017.

They also say two science subjects must be sat one of which MUST be maths and then any other science OR Maths AND computing.

Hmm, 2A's and 2B's, is 1A's 4B's an equivalent? If so, I might have a chance at them both if my S6 goes well.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Hi there. Do not worry, you are not sinking and those are amazing sets of results. Can you tell me what university you intend on going to so I can help you out a bit more in this matter? Thanks!

For next year I opted in for Advanced higher maths, Higher Economics, Higher History and stupidly opted into Advanced Higher physics. I intend on applying to;
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Strathclyde
Warwick(English uni)
Robert Gordon
For next year I opted in for Advanced higher maths, Higher Economics, Higher History and stupidly opted into Advanced Higher physics. I intend on applying to;
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Strathclyde
Warwick(English uni)
Robert Gordon

Hi, now that I've got a bit more information I might be able to help you. I think it's great that you're wanting to take AH Physics as it's a useful subject, but seeing as this is not directly relevant to the course at all, have you considered opting out of Physics next year? Do you think this might make things a bit easier for you?
I had a look at Edinburgh's entry requirements and I think you've done very well!
Typical offer

The typical offer is likely to be:

SQA Highers: AAAAA.

A Levels: AAA.

IB: 43 points (grades 776 at HL).

Minimum entry requirements

SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or ABBBB/AABB from S4-S6 with BBB by end of S5. National 5 Mathematics at Grade B and English at Grade C.

I think you still have a chance of getting into accountancy and finance based on your results! Maybe you could contact your university to see if they will consider you with AABB, but I am confident they will accept you. You've done fab, don't be disappointed.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Hi, now that I've got a bit more information I might be able to help you. I think it's great that you're wanting to take AH Physics as it's a useful subject, but seeing as this is not directly relevant to the course at all, have you considered opting out of Physics next year? Do you think this might make things a bit easier for you?
I had a look at Edinburgh's entry requirements and I think you've done very well!

Typical offer

The typical offer is likely to be:

SQA Highers: AAAAA.

A Levels: AAA.

IB: 43 points (grades 776 at HL).

Minimum entry requirements

SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or ABBBB/AABB from S4-S6 with BBB by end of S5. National 5 Mathematics at Grade B and English at Grade C.

I think you still have a chance of getting into accountancy and finance based on your results! Maybe you could contact your university to see if they will consider you with AABB, but I am confident they will accept you. You've done fab, don't be disappointed.

Thank you so much, I am starting to feel much better.
Thank you so much, I am starting to feel much better.

You should feel great. You have done so well and have made a great achievement and as you may know sometimes it's not all about grades but it's also about how you are as a person and your experience which is what universities look at as well. Don't be so harsh on yourself :smile:
Reply 174
Got 3As in Advanced English, Maths, and Mods. Really happy bringing myself back from a D in the Maths prelim. Quite funny in retrospect thinking about how terrified I was of the Maths thread after seeing people predict a 78/79/80% A grade boundary :biggrin:
Original post by GJK98
Thanks for the advice. I chose English because I enjoy novels & poetry but I think you're right that in my current situation, I don't have the luxury of picking a subject solely because I enjoy it. Also, I am doing DofE and making a website for a charity for my Adv Comp folio so I'm building up my personal statement quite well I think. I think I'm going to go with what you said and H Chemistry. Thanks again for the advice.

You don't even have to drop English. I'd recommend emailing the universities and asking for there opinion, and what they would expect a conditional offer would be if offered based on your plan.

Although, I do recommend picking up AH Maths. CompSci is really mathsy, and uni maths is taught a lot differently than School maths. Having that AH knowledge will help in first year maths modules immensely.

I got
Accoung Higher-A
Maths Higher- A
Biology Higher -B
Physics Higher- C

Thanks

They're good results! Good enough to be considered for a conditional offer at Glasgow and Edinburgh! Nothing to stress over.
Didn't get my results until this evening :angry: But I guess the wait was worth it
H English - A
H Maths - A
H Geography - A
Higher Human Biology - A
Higher Chemistry - A
Hi, looking for some advice for my daughter who received her S5 Higher results today:

English - B
History -B
Modern Studies - C
Graphic Communication - C

She's very disappointed with her results as she was hoping to apply this year to study either English Lit or Psychology and now thinks it would be a waste of time applying?

She's planning to take AH English plus Highers in Art, Psychology and Business Studies in 6th year and work hard for hopefully good results.

Do you think it would be a waste of her time applying this year and if not should she rethink her subject choices for S6 and resist MS and GC?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks
I need a little advice here. So I got a grade C at higher psychology. And my friend for a grade B at higher psychology.

However. On asking our college tutor the breakdowns of our results she said that I got 28/60 on the exam and 30/40 on the assignment which is 58/100 and rightfully a C according to the grade boundaries. (Which in fine with)
Now my friend got 28/60 exam and 28/40 assignment. This would mean a 56/100 and should also be a C?? However on her results email and certificate it says B.

I'm not sure if this is correct or what but it doesn't seem like it? My initial thinking is that it's been a mistake/typo on what the sqa have sent to my tutor and not the actual marks themselves. What would use advise?
is the computing science national 5 exam being redone or something as there were a lot of errors, due to this I did terrible in my exam luckily I did very well in my assignment so it secured a pass. if the computing exam was checked properly I probably would have had an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending