Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got one major today for parking too far away from the kerb on a hill. Stressful D: But anyway. My examiner said I indicated in a timely manner but wasn't close enough.

Honestly, I wasn't that surprised because I've always found parking uncomfortable. My observations are fine and picking a place is okay. But, I have no technique on the approach to the kerb to ensure I park close enough but far enough that I don't mount it.

Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mel1312)
    I got one major today for parking too far away from the kerb on a hill. Stressful D: But anyway. My examiner said I indicated in a timely manner but wasn't close enough.

Honestly, I wasn't that surprised because I've always found parking uncomfortable. My observations are fine and picking a place is okay. But, I have no technique on the approach to the kerb to ensure I park close enough but far enough that I don't mount it.

Any tips?
    If you're reversing, do you lower your mirrors prior to making the manoeuvre? That can really help you know when you're getting too close to the kerb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieGakusei)
    If you're reversing, do you lower your mirrors prior to making the manoeuvre? That can really help you know when you're getting too close to the kerb.
    It was for parking next to the kerb not reversing. I don't change my mirrors during manoeuvres but my manoeuvre was fine during the test (which kills even more D

ReputationRep:
    I find reverse parking easier than driving straight in especially kerb side.....to be honest i dont give much thought....one thing that my dad told me....which i think maybe you should try is....when parking by kerb pull up along side vehicle in front of parking space....not too close but not too far....whether space is on left or right....slowly reverse but turn wheel quick so almost locked into the way youre parking....when your bonnet is alongside backdoor...or further back....just check both back and front view....your bonnet should be near enough by rear wheel....still reversing slowly....turn wheel quick in opposite direction coz you want to be going in on angle.... if looking at a clock...the car in front would be at 12 and the angle youre after is 11....when front wing of your car is alongside rear bumper...corner to be exact of car in front....start straightening wheel up....lower your wing mirror if needed.....to watch kerb....rear view mirrors are deceiving....use wing mirrors....adjust if you need....and once in space....just manoevre back and forth still straight and happy..
    Another tip for town parking....high street especially....if you can...park outside shop that has full front glass windows....use reflection to perfect your parking....you are clearer on space between you and car behind and can get up real close without the fear of hitting it use reflection as much as you can...maybe ask your instructor or someone who has a car.. .parents or friends maybe will let you try
    Good luck....dont stress over it....it will come eventually

ReputationRep:
    Go as far as you think you need to, and then go a bit further. I use this technique for all parking matters. You're never as close to the kerb or the other car as you think. This may in fact be terrible advice but it works for me!!*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.