Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I afford to live without student finance at first? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to london from up north and my student finance doesn't kick in until estimated at my first day of being at university. How can I cover the cost of being in a flat and having to feed myself (on top of having to pay to travel there with all my things) for like a week beforehand which also includes the deposit of around six hundred pounds (private accommodation). How does everyone else deal with this huge chunk of money needing to be spent off the bat? someone please help me solve this problem as its pretty scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmonicam8)
    I'm moving to london from up north and my student finance doesn't kick in until estimated at my first day of being at university. How can I cover the cost of being in a flat and having to feed myself (on top of having to pay to travel there with all my things) for like a week beforehand which also includes the deposit of around six hundred pounds (private accommodation). How does everyone else deal with this huge chunk of money needing to be spent off the bat? someone please help me solve this problem as its pretty scary.
    Get a summer job?

ReputationRep:
    The thing I find hilarious about student loans is that they're designed to ensure that everyone is able to study at University no matter what their background is, yet before you receive the money Universities demand you pay deposits... Makes very little sense and shows that actually not enough's being done to help those who are desperately poor.

ReputationRep:
    Easy solution. Withdraw from your course and instead spend the year working. Apply again next year.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at uni I told them I had very low income and asked if I could pay £20 deposit and they get the rest when my student loan comes in. They agreed. So ask them, they may be willing to help.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know how no-one has said student account overdraft, that's what everyone I know uses. Best accounts give £1,500-2,000 free overdraft for precisely this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    most overdrafts won't kick in until you start as a student and many are limited to £500 or so for the first term which won't help much... it's worth looking at your terms though and seeing if overdraft money could help

can any family lend you money?

can you work over the summer or sell possessions you don't need?

can you move down on your first day/the day before to at least save on living costs?

you can contact the university but there's no guarantee, especially if you're not on a very low income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmonicam8)
    my parents dropped my me off at uni with all my stuff, this included enough food for week and also supported me financially. My uni didn't require a deposit though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.