The Student Room Group

A-levels - Picking subjects

Hi guys!

As the title states, I have no clue as to what subjects to pick for A level! I mean, I had my interview for the college I want to go to, and I've chosen my subjects - maths (with stats), biology and chemistry (All A level). However, since GCSE revision, I haven't really been feeling the subjects I'm taking - I mean I just hate revising for it (it practically makes me depressing when revising).

So I don't know if I should take it next year after all! I love maths regardless so I'm taking that but I'm not sure about the sciences! I'm having another meeting with my college a day after my GCSE results and I don't know what to do! During revision, I enjoyed revising English (lit) the most.

Do you guys have any tips - should I stick with the options, change them later (the ones I enjoyed during revision - English lit) or just choose the subjects I did the best in? I'm genuinely really confused :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Dont take a subject you find boring, trust me, you will find out the hard way on results day when you fail because you didn't enjoy the subject.
Dont take a subject just because you did well in it! Thats a bonus but you really need to understand and want to study a topic to do well in it. If you are taking science subjects just because they look good, it will probably not end well.
WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT TAKE SOCIOLOGY CUZ ITS S H I T
Well they're all pretty hard subjects. What I think you should do is just look at the things you would be studying and then decide whether you will find it interesting. However topics can be very deceptive as I remember doing psychology would be very interesting but unfortunately it turned out really crap. Maybe look at the other options you have to choose from a pick something new, something you would like to explore or maybe get creative with. At the end of the day it will be two years of your life. That's what you have to think about also maybe try and choose subjects that will fit into what you want to do in the future. But don't panic! If you don't like any other subjects just stick with what you've chosen and if you find it boring, then you're just going to have to push through it and get them As and A*s!
Haha! Nah, I'm not planning to take sociology! It's either maths with stats, English lit, psychology or maths with stats, biology and chemistry! Thing is I really enjoyed science in year 10 (hence why I chose it) but then in year 11 my teacher changed and I hated science ever since - my grades dropped, the teacher never taught anything, I was basically just reading a textbook every single science lesson so whenever I came to revise the subject I kinda procrastinated and hated revising for it! What did you take? Also thanks for the super quick reply :smile: what are the hardest and easiest A levels?
Original post by dpka1
Dont take a subject you find boring, trust me, you will find out the hard way on results day when you fail because you didn't enjoy the subject.
Dont take a subject just because you did well in it! Thats a bonus but you really need to understand and want to study a topic to do well in it. If you are taking science subjects just because they look good, it will probably not end well.
WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT TAKE SOCIOLOGY CUZ ITS S H I T
I've looked at what I'd study and tbh idk how I feel about them - still gets me stuck as there's some parts from all the subjects I love & hate. & also omg funnily enough, I was thinking of taking psychology next year if I take English literature. Is it really bad? It sounds so interesting!!And yes, if I go through with the sciences, I will probably do something medical & if I go with the English literature I will probably study law in the future as I it only requires one essay based subject so I got the future career bit sorted and dusted! Thanks for the advice and super quick reply! What subjects are you studying in college/sixth form?i hope you're enjoying them!
Original post by alevelssuck_
Well they're all pretty hard subjects. What I think you should do is just look at the things you would be studying and then decide whether you will find it interesting. However topics can be very deceptive as I remember doing psychology would be very interesting but unfortunately it turned out really crap. Maybe look at the other options you have to choose from a pick something new, something you would like to explore or maybe get creative with. At the end of the day it will be two years of your life. That's what you have to think about also maybe try and choose subjects that will fit into what you want to do in the future. But don't panic! If you don't like any other subjects just stick with what you've chosen and if you find it boring, then you're just going to have to push through it and get them As and A*s!
Reply 5
Original post by usmaanzafaar
Haha! Nah, I'm not planning to take sociology! It's either maths with stats, English lit, psychology or maths with stats, biology and chemistry! Thing is I really enjoyed science in year 10 (hence why I chose it) but then in year 11 my teacher changed and I hated science ever since - my grades dropped, the teacher never taught anything, I was basically just reading a textbook every single science lesson so whenever I came to revise the subject I kinda procrastinated and hated revising for it! What did you take? Also thanks for the super quick reply :smile: what are the hardest and easiest A levels?

I took Business studies, sociology and psychology. They've changed the spec for all these subjects so the content isn't in the same order anymore. I definitely recommend psychology but you really need to remember the content well and prepare in advance because there's A LOT to remember.

Business is easy

Sociology is the worst subject ive ever taken in my whole life, and i took Classical Civilisation for GCSE which wasn't even as bad *sigh*

if you have good teachers for science at a level, then it could be tolerable, but it really depends on whether you actually like the subject, not the teacher's way of teaching. ygm? hope everything turns out how you want it.
Original post by usmaanzafaar
I've looked at what I'd study and tbh idk how I feel about them - still gets me stuck as there's some parts from all the subjects I love & hate. & also omg funnily enough, I was thinking of taking psychology next year if I take English literature. Is it really bad? It sounds so interesting!!And yes, if I go through with the sciences, I will probably do something medical & if I go with the English literature I will probably study law in the future as I it only requires one essay based subject so I got the future career bit sorted and dusted! Thanks for the advice and super quick reply! What subjects are you studying in college/sixth form?i hope you're enjoying them!

You are welcome:biggrin:. At the end of the day you still have time to change your mind so no worries. Psychology is interesting but when you have to memorise all the stuff you learnt over and over and over again it gets just a "tad" boring. But to be fair all subjects get boring when you study A Levels (in my opinion) especially if you have a teacher that has no passion. English Lit is amazing! I loved studying it with OCR I'm not sure what it's like with other exam board so maybe find out what you will be studying like books wise and stuff.

It seems like you have everything planned out very well so your future is looking very bright! Just think about what will get you through the next two years, because trust me. It gets VERY tiring.

Unfortunately I just resat year 12 due to not being able to cope with exams last year because of major stress! But I am currently studying Economics, Psychology, Media and just finished A2 English Lit completely. They are a random combination of subjects but I thought I'd go with two subjects that are a tad more relaxed (even though psychology is basically memorising the entire book so not so relaxed:rolleyes::rolleyes:) and two which will help me get into Politics and Economics:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Unless you need the sciences for uni, i wouldnt take something you arnt interested in youll struggle with content and exams, whilst you are revising you will just want to sleep.. this comes from experiance.

I took psychology thinking id really enjoy it but i hated it, managed to be an A at As so carried it on and this year its ruint me, its so hard to remember when you care so little for it. If its aqa its pure exam based so you cant pull your marks up with coursework.

My only A level i enjoyed was History, but i always have, plus its what my degree will be in. Id reccomend it to anyone who is prepared to put effort in. For me i enjoyed it as youd go to lessson at ungodly hours of the morning and basically be told a story. Although that may be over simplifying a quite difficult subject haha, if you are picking 4, try something like History or English, essay based subjects might end up the most appealing to you😏

I did Law to, but honestly its pretty hideous 😂 read around all the subjects and topics in them each college is different 😋
If you are thinking of going to university, you should read this before you make your choices: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

I did maths, bio, chem and English lit. English was fun but a total waste of time to be honest. Sciences are much more useful and the things I learned have stayed with me through life.
I think it's always good to take a mix of humanities and sciences, especially if you're unsure on what to do after college/uni - it keeps your options open and teaches you a wide range of skills.

I reckon go with English Lit, as it will nicely balance out your subjects, and it sounds like something you would enjoy. It will boost your writing and critical thinking skills and teach you how to construct accurate and balanced arguments, how to analyse and interpret pieces of writing and texts, and your increase your planning and research skills.

Quick Reply

Latest