Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello

I don't normally suffer anxiety, however I am going through some tests for a medicall condition and am cripplingly anxious about the results.

I constantly feel on edge, whole body is tense and legs feel weak. My palms feel sweaty and sometimes I just have to squeeze something to release this horrendous feeling building up. I also had what I think were mild panic attacks overnight the other night because of bad dreams I was having about the situation.

Any advice for what I could do to help relieve this unproductive anxiety? I thought about learning to meditate but not sure I could concentrate enough!!

Kudos to all of you who suffer this on a normal basis, truly.

X

ReputationRep:
    I would try relax and do stuff that are relaxing try and get your mind off of it.

ReputationRep:
    exercise? (unless your medical condition stops that)

ReputationRep:
    One thing you can try to do is to focus on things that you like, so surrounding yourself with friends and activities that keep you happy and distracted.

Another would be trying to rationalise the situation to yourself. Knowing the symptoms is a good start, and so whenever you start to feel that way stop and ask yourself why you're feeling like that. If it's because you're worried about those results, tell yourself that worrying about that now is not going to change them and that it is not a helpful response, and just work with yourself to make yourself feel a bit better. It's easier said than done, but when you know what's happening it's easier to know when it is appropriate and when it's not.

Related to the point above, look up some things about CBT as that can be a very helpful way to combat those kinds of feelings.

Hope you sort everything out soon!

Thank you for all the great advice can you do cbt without a therapist out of interest? I think that would help me to rationalise things

At first I wasn't particularly worried about the results but now I have undergone a further investigation and it's all hit me very hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for all the great advice can you do cbt without a therapist out of interest? I think that would help me to rationalise things

At first I wasn't particularly worried about the results but now I have undergone a further investigation and it's all hit me very hard.
    You can do CBT without a therapist, yes. Mostly what the therapist is there for is to teach you about what CBT is and to guide you through the steps, but ultimately it's a personal thing where you're helping yourself.

If you look at things like this (i haven't read it personally but it seems like it would be helpful) and just search for general online CBT resources I'm sure there will be lots of helpful stuff!

ReputationRep:
    bun a zoot

ReputationRep:
    With anxiety , you have to focus your mind on your surroundings. For example , focus on what you see and the smell . That's is how I deal with the feelings and the sudden panic attacks .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

There's an online Aussie CBT course called MoodGym, check it out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.