The Student Room Group

No coding experience, what to do?

I'm going to be studying computer science next year but my sixth form didnt offer it as an A level so I have no knowledge/experience in coding. I fear that everyone else will be familiar with it and I will struggle, how should I prepare for next year?
Get a book and learn coding from there (or surf the web). Programming language can be whatever you like although C-based languages seem to be most popular (Java, C#...)

Also find out the kinds of modules you'll be studying at uni since Computer Science is broad and there are various IT jobs out there.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd have thought "learn to code" would be the obvious answer.

That said, first year of university is typically about getting everyone up to roughly the same level, so you may find that you will not be expected to be overly familiar with coding when you start.

If you wish to get a head start there are plenty of free tutorials online, such as codeacademy.

Unsure what language to suggest, but I'd have thought something like Javascript or C# would serve you pretty well. Someone with more knowledge than I is welcome to chime in and correct me.
Original post by Mert_179
I'm going to be studying computer science next year but my sixth form didnt offer it as an A level so I have no knowledge/experience in coding. I fear that everyone else will be familiar with it and I will struggle, how should I prepare for next year?

I would start with python as it's one of the best to see results quicker. Then move onto standard languages such as Java, C, C++ etc. :smile:

The website codeacademy is quite good for the basics I found (although I have never studied CompSci, I was just interested in coding).

I started with HTML and CSS but think they do a range that you can learn :smile:
Reply 5
Coding is useless without a foundation of actual programming skills.

Look for a copy of The C Programming Language - yes, it's outdated, but the basics are the same as now, and it's very easy to follow.

I learnt to code nearly six years ago and made many mistakes and bad choices!

My advice to you would be to have a motivator (not just succeeding in uni :smile:) to help you to learn how to code.

So I suggest that you learn the basics of variables and data types through any normal resource. Then use a similar approach to learn about functions etc.

Then when you have grasped basic understanding of as coding language, start to learn how to make a game. I would recommend learning to make a simple 2d game.

The reason for this is that your brain will grasp the ideas and logic behind coding much more quickly this way rather than from reading a book: you will have a much better understanding of classes etc this way.

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Justn learn programming in your spare time like I did. It works out really well that way.. It helps if you have a passion for coding so you can keep going. You need to be disciplined.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by muhammad_ahmad

Then when you have grasped basic understanding of as coding language, start to learn how to make a game. I would recommend learning to make a simple 2d game.

no, this is not what a beginner should be attempting
Reply 9
Aye you'll want to learn how to start coding soon. But more importantly, computer science is not just about coding. You'll want to pick up some books on basic computational theory and mathematics ---> The new Turing omnibus and How to think like a mathematician.

Those are from the suggested reading list for Cambridge CompScis and I'd highly recommend it. I've had the great pleasure meeting a lot of CompScis and, like many other students, the best way to help yourself is to prepare well. You are driving your own progress after all :wink:
Get coding experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending