Thailand - where to go?

Watch
inorout
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am looking to go to Thailand in November, I want to stay in one place near the beach.

I'm looking for a great beach, but with some cultural sites near by. Can anyone recommend a place with a few stunning temples near a beach and a few other things to do like jungle walks etc. I hate sitting on a beach all day and I am not a clubber so I want to avoid that side of Thailand.

Ideally I want a chilled out retreat type of place maybe with a spot of yoga etc.
Topdeck Travel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi inorout,

As you are visiting in November, I would recommend Phuket as an ideal place to visit, as being further south than other beach resorts the climate here is likely to be warmer and drier than others further north, but not unbearably hot like it may be considered to be in the earlier months. Phuket has several beach options, with the main three being Patong, Karon, and Kata. Out of these three it seems that Karon may perhaps suit your wishes the best, hosting a Buddhist temple and weekly market and, despite having some nightlife elements not being dominated by this. Phuket also has plenty to do in terms of culture, such as the 45 metre tall Big Buddha that is one of the island's most important landmarks, located on top of the Nakkerd Hills, which is possible to hike. Looking out from the Big Buddha site also gives great panoramic views of the island as a whole. Phuket is also close to Phang Nga Bay, which is popular for day trips. The bay is comprised of many limestone islands and beautiful emerald-green water. Phuket also has many markets to visit, with different ones open at all different times of day and night. One of these markets is Malin Plaza which is formed of many different food stands all at very reasonable prices, offering both mainstream and less well-known Thai (and other forms) of cuisine. Phuket would also be a perfect destination for you considering that you mentioned you would like a place with some temples. In Phuket there are 29 Buddhist temples alone, alongside many other Taoist temple. One of the most famous Buddhist temples in Phuket is Wat Chalong, which contains a splinter of Lord Buddha's bone!

Further south than Phuket is Koh Lanta, which during November (from the 13th-15th) hosts the Berk Fah Andaman Festival. The festival is a cultural event, where different types of dance, music and food are all showcased, to give a real insight into Thai culture - best of all, entrance to the festival is free! Koh Lanta is also home to Mu Ko Lanta National Park - which contains 20km² of walkable rainforest as well as lots of marine life. Koh Lanta also offers many yoga retreats and sanctuaries, a majority of which offer sea views whilst being undertaken.

Koh Samui is another location that has a good November weather forecast, despite often being cloudy being relatively dry with low humidity. As well as the beach, a huge attraction for many visitors to the region is Absolute Sanctuary, which is a detox and yoga resort, offering relaxation with fantastic sea views. On the north-east coast of Samui is a Wat Plai Laem, a temple compound featuring a large 18-arm model of Guanyin (the Goddess of Mercy and Compassion), and in the temple halls a lot of information about Buddhist history and mythology is also provided. Koh Samui also has many nature attractions, such as elephant treks through the jungle, as well as many opportunities for walking tours.

I hope this helps you to make a decision, and if I can help in any other way please feel free to ask!

Cheers,
Katie
pewdiepig
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just get a cab and tell em copa cabana or 'Poseidon' ur welcome bruhh
adrianlopez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thailand is a wonderful and beautiful country in SEA, you can read at: https://asiatravel.news/en/category/...hailand-guides
Brayden Lyle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by inorout)
I am looking to go to Thailand in November, I want to stay in one place near the beach.

I'm looking for a great beach, but with some cultural sites near by. Can anyone recommend a place with a few stunning temples near a beach and a few other things to do like jungle walks etc. I hate sitting on a beach all day and I am not a clubber so I want to avoid that side of Thailand.

Ideally I want a chilled out retreat type of place maybe with a spot of yoga etc.
Thailand has quite a few beautiful beaches. You can come to visit Krabi where has many beaches, forests and islands.
brabzzz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it's your first time to Thailand, don't pick anywhere based on temples or markets or yoga. They're everywhere - a day on a moped and you'll have seen enough to last you a lifetime. They're all the same after a while. Don't book anything but your first and last night in advance -accomodation is plentiful. When you stumbled across something you like, stay. If it sucks, move.

Koh Lanta nearby is nice - can moped over to Old Lanta on the empty side for Non's Restaurant - it's brilliant. A pain to get to, but, for the Blue Marlin, well worth the trip Then go to the other coast - Koh Phangan north shore is pretty relaxed. Maybe over to Koh Tao for some diving. Not the best, but pretty cheap and also - mostly - relaxed, though a fair contigent of the young loud crowd.
Renata Budri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[email protected] inorout,

My personal view is that Thailand is the best place for vacation. I imagine it’s hot, exotic and a good place for relax. My husband and I intend to visit Thailand in December. Our travel agent gave us some suggestions, for example, he said that Bangkok's temples are the best tourist attractions, and that the floating market Damnern Saduak is another good option to visit, for last and more important, you need to know Palong and Akha because there lives the tribe of the intriguing Giraffe women. For all this incredible places, I believe that this travel will be the best of us. Have a good travel!!!!
MrAnything
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
MrAnything

Dear TSR

I'm here to provide services that will make life easier on Uni students, all my services are HALF PRICE. This allows you to save money for other things, I cover flight, tickets & food

DELIVEROO
EVENTBRITE
FLYMONARCH

** Deliveroo **
Download The App " Deliveroo " Put In Your Postcode & See What Food Places/ Restaurants Can Deliver To Where Ever You Want.. Send Me The Name Of The Food Place & List Of The Food You Want

Pay After You Get Your Food 😋😋

Same With The Tickets & Flights

Everything Half Price

How To Contact Me Download ICQ From The App Store & Add Me

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads