Turn on thread page Beta

failed 1st year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just found out i've failed my first year at uni.....

They are letting me resit 2 units in august but i honestly have no chance of passing them as i missed that part of the course due to illness.

I plan to appeal, and tell them of my illness, but the problem is i dont have a medical certificate to back up my claims........At the time i didnt have a GP so just went to a walk-in centre for treatment. The problem is, the staff at the walk-in centre won't give me a certificate.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)

erm, u can

1)take a year out, and take the exams next august, or whenever

2)resit those exams this august

3)try to change to another uni' and start as 1st year

ReputationRep:
    When you don't pass some of the stuff in the first year, can you go onto second year?

ReputationRep:
    Universities are very strict, if you were ill you should have informed them at the time. Its a bit late now but its worth trying, but from experience of other people I know who claimed they were ill afterwards they were basicaly told to go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    When you don't pass some of the stuff in the first year, can you go onto second year?
    It depends on the university, at my university in the first year they let you fail two modules out of 12, providing you a few percentage off like 38% instead of the 40% pass mark. You would have to resit the rest and have your mark capped to 40%.

Its harder to pass the second year though, if they think you're a good student and failed one module but almost pass it they will let you into the 3rd year without having to resit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Universities are very strict, if you were ill you should have informed them at the time. Its a bit late now but its worth trying, but from experience of other people I know who claimed they were ill afterwards they were basicaly told to go away.

Yeah, but most of my lecturers knew i was ill at the time......i just didnt make a formal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    Yeah, but most of my lecturers knew i was ill at the time......i just didnt make a formal statement.

Did you receive any follow on care from a doctor who could vouch for the fact you were ill? I hope they are compassionate about your case its horrible being ill while trying to study. What course at what uni are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    In that case they should have informed the examing board and they should have told you to write a formal statement.

I missed exams as I was having operation, I am having to resit them in August, but the lecturers told the examing board about this so my marks won't be capped in August.

ReputationRep:
    Without a medical certificate there isn't to much you can do, your appeal probable wouldn't be successful (though you might as well try); your best chance is to hope you pass the resits, or if that fails resit the entire year.

ReputationRep:
    You could have a word with your tutor and/or students union, but the best thing would prob be to aim to pass the resits - try and get notes and stuff from mates.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)

They are letting me resit 2 units in august but i honestly have no chance of passing them as i missed that part of the course due to illness.

I plan to appeal, and tell them of my illness, but the problem is i dont have a medical certificate to back up my claims........At the time i didnt have a GP so just went to a walk-in centre for treatment. The problem is, the staff at the walk-in centre won't give me a certificate.

I'm in a similar position, but I have to resit 6 essays. Anyway, here's my advice:

- Give up on trying to get a medical certificate.
    - Spend the hours of 9 to 3 every weekday revising/working.
    - Visit your teachers or e-mail them for help.

When you say units, what do you mean? 'essays and exams' or just 2 essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)

It would seem to me that the end of august is a long time away,and if you could find out from other people on your course what content you have missed, then you have a lot of time to prepare for resits..

If you don't pass and you have to meet with an appeal board, then you may still have a chance. The board will probably consist of the dean/assistant dean of your school, and head lecturers/unit organisers (Im not entirely sure who the appeal boards are made up of) and so hopefully they will be the same lecturers that knew you were ill.. I think this is probably the best you can hope for without a medical certificate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    I'm in a similar position, but I have to resit 6 essays. Anyway, here's my advice:

- Give up on trying to get a medical certificate.
    - Spend the hours of 9 to 3 every weekday revising/working.
    - Visit your teachers or e-mail them for help.

When you say units, what do you mean? 'essays and exams' or just 2 essays?
    2 units is 2 2hour exams. I think you are in a better position than me with essays.

Im at kings, and everyone tells me how strict they are with appeals etc, but i've got six weeks till exams , so im gonna spend 2 weeks trying to get the appeal sorted, and if that fails, i will have 4 weeks to revise for the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    YOU could tell me how to get a med cert.
    Very little chance of that. you could ask for a copy of your medical records though, as if you recieved treatment in a drop in centre you would have had to give info relating to who you were so that the info could be added to your record.

If you were as ill as you suggest, it will all be on record. Doctors note or not.

Depending on your GP it may cost you between £10 and £25 to get a copy, but worth it if it saves you a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Very little chance of that. you could ask for a copy of your medical records though, as if you recieved treatment in a drop in centre you would have had to give info relating to who you were so that the info could be added to your record.

If you were as ill as you suggest, it will all be on record. Doctors note or not.

Depending on your GP it may cost you between £10 and £25 to get a copy, but worth it if it saves you a year.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    It depends on the course too, for medicine and dentistry you HAVE to pass 1st year to continue. I imagine its the same with quite a few courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    It depends on the course too, for medicine and dentistry you HAVE to pass 1st year to continue. I imagine its the same with quite a few courses.
    It was with my degree too (genetics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    I thought that was the case with ALL courses :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyse)
    I thought that was the case with ALL courses :confused:
    With mine, I had to pass 100/120 credits this year (though was only allowed to fail the module outside main disciple (elective) modules).

ReputationRep:
    just a note, at exeter your not allowed to appeal if the years marks do not count towards your degree. so basically your not allowed to appeal on your first years marks.

love Katy ***

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.