Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really struggling with what to choose to do my coursework on as I had an initial idea but my teacher said that coursework scored higher when individuals had produced transcripts.

Does anyone have any ideas????
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by moon_light_wolf)
    I am really struggling with what to choose to do my coursework on as I had an initial idea but my teacher said that coursework scored higher when individuals had produced transcripts.

Does anyone have any ideas????
    The first question is literally: "What did you find interesting at AS?" You need to find out what you did like and if there wasn't anything in particular, then search "debates on English Language" or "issues in English Language" or "topics in English Language" on the internet. Read up about some then you should hopefully find some inspiration.

It all depends on what you find interesting. I didn't particularly like gender, but I did enjoy the theory of swearing because I swear all the time. I was going to do children's handwriting and motor skills, but a friend pointed out the former option, so went with that. You could try and get a study group going to bounce ideas off perhaps? Our teacher made us discuss some of the topics with each other in class and by the end of the lesson, everyone had found their topic.
    So by the end of the lesson, I decided to investigate how the affect of swearing between genders influences mood, tone, and meaning of conversational language. The evidence I used was from Celebrity Big Brother 2014. I got full marks.

PS: your teacher is right - it is easier to get higher marks if you transcribe language cause you get marks on how well you do that and infer your own data. If you do a written language investigation it's more harder 'cause written language isn't spontaneous - it's always done for a certain effect. So the information is already there, so to speak.

Hope that helps a little!

Feel free to ask me anything relating to it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.