Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

http://pastpapers.download.wjec.co.uk/s15-0978-01.pdf
    Can someone help me with 3bi? Ive done part a
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
     n=0 ? From De Moivre's theorem. Just look for smallest n to make sin(3pi/4 * n) = 0 as this makes the imaginary part equal 0

(Original post by RDKGames)
     n=0 ? From De Moivre's theorem. Just look for smallest n to make sin(3pi/4 * n) = 0 as this makes the imaginary part equal 0
    Ahhh okay thanks and what about for bii?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Ahhh okay thanks and what about for bii?
    Same idea, look for smallest integer n to make the real part equal zero, so for which smallest n will cos(3pi/4 * n) = 0 ?

Also, how do I use fractions on this site? I'm new xD

Same idea, look for smallest n to make the real part equal zero, so for which smallest n will cos(3pi/4 * n) = 0 ?

Haha i dont use latex much but you can ask the person i tagged! Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Same idea, look for smallest integer n to make the real part equal zero, so for which smallest n will cos(3pi/4 * n) = 0 ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex

This page has everything you need to know.

To use fractions, \frac{a}{b} for \frac{a}{b} and \dfrac{a}{b} for a bigger \dfrac{a}{b}.

Also you might like to know that for Greek letters such as \pi, just a \ before the name of the letter (and generally a \ before a lot of things such as \cos\theta to give \cos\theta for example).
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex

This page has everything you need to know.

To use fractions, \frac{a}{b} for \frac{a}{b} and \dfrac{a}{b} for a bigger \dfrac{a}{b}.

Also you might like to know that for Greek letters such as \pi, just a \ before the name of the letter.
    Ah thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Haha i dont use latex much but you can ask the person i tagged! Thanks for your help
    No problem OP, got my FP2 exam tomorrow morning so I gotta stay sharp with this stuff as well!

Ah thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

No problem OP, got my FP2 exam tomorrow morning so I gotta stay sharp with this stuff as well!
    Haha ohh , ive got mine tomorrow too , i dont think im ready though haha
    Okay so in q4? Id normally use my general solutions method if it was costheta + cos3theta or something , but what do i do with the Pi/6 inside the bracket?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Haha ohh , ive got mine tomorrow too , i dont think im ready though haha
    Okay so in q4? Id normally use my general solutions method if it was costheta + cos3theta or something , but what do i do with the Pi/6 inside the bracket?
    My first instinct is to use the double angle formula for cos and factor out trig on pi/6. I'll have a go and see for myself.

My first instinct is to use the double angle formula for cos and factor out trig on pi/6. I'll have a go and see for myself.
    Ah okay sure

I cant do it , & neither do i understand the ms tbh! http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications...pastpaper=true
    The ms if you cant do it:/ if you can do it then please explain it to me! Well ive done the first 2 marks of it
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I cant do it , & neither do i understand the ms tbh! http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications...pastpaper=true
    The ms if you cant do it:/ if you can do it then please explain it to me! Well ive done the first 2 marks of it
    The mark scheme makes sense however I'm having difficulties getting rid off cosines. I have cos(3x)+cos(2x)+cos(x) + sin(3x)+sin(2x)+sin(x) = 0 but they don't touch upon cos at all?

The mark scheme makes sense however I'm having difficulties getting rid off cosines. I have cos(3x)+cos(2x)+cos(x) + sin(3x)+sin(2x)+sin(x) = 0 but they don't touch upon cos at all?
    I really dont know :/ Seems like a very weird question ngl
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I really dont know :/ Seems like a very weird question ngl
    I have the solutions however I did differently to the mark scheme. Instead, I used the following identity:

cos(A)+cos(B)=2cos(\frac{A+B}{2}  )cos(\frac{A-B}{2})

Now, I let A=x+\frac{\pi}{6} and B=3x+\frac{\pi}{6}

So after applying the identity and tidying things up, I ended up with:

2cos(2x+\frac{\pi}{6})cos(-x)+cos(2x+\frac{\pi}{6})=0

Now remember that cos(-x)=cos(x) and that you can factor out cos(2x+\frac{\pi}{6}). At this point just solve the two products equaling 0 and you should get 3 general solutions.

For x=2n\pi \pm \frac{2\pi}{3} you can just ignore the plus sign one because those solutions are covered by one of the other two for later values of n.

Oh, and this is definitely the weirdest general solution question I've come across, nothing like this popped up with AQA and general solutions are done in FP1. Plus this is the first time I made use of that identity lol.

I have the solutions however I did differently to the mark scheme. Instead, I used the following identity:

cos(A)+cos(B)=2cos(\frac{A+B}{2}  )cos(\frac{A-B}{2})

Now, I let A=x+\frac{\pi}{6} and B=3x+\frac{\pi}{6}

So after applying the identity and tidying things up, I ended up with:

2cos(2x+\frac{\pi}{6})cos(-x)+cos(2x+\frac{\pi}{6})=0

Now remember that cos(-x)=cos(x) and that you can factor out cos(2x+\frac{\pi}{6}). At this point just solve the two products equaling 0 and you should get 3 general solutions.

For x=2n\pi \pm \frac{2\pi}{3} you can just ignore the plus sign one because those solutions are covered by one of the other two for later values of n.

Oh, and this is definitely the weirdest general solution question I've come across, nothing like this popped up with AQA and general solutions are done in FP1. Plus this is the first time I made use of that identity lol.
    Haha thank you so much! Top guy lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.