Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just did a taster session today in class to see what A level maths is like, and it was horrible, i did not get anything!? For GCSE im 100% certain i got a B but quite it wasnt a high B rougly 98-108 ums or so. I want to do maths because everyone is doing it and it is the most popular , and it also leads to many other careers but i just dont know if i should do it? just 1 hour of A level maths overview and i was lost..

ReputationRep:
    It would be the same with any A-level taster session; I'm sure you'll have heard "the jump" from GCSE to A-level is large so they'd all seem daunting. But trust me A level maths is all practice. You'd get the hang of the workload pretty quickly.

What I would say though, is that I wouldn't take it because "everyone is doing it", or because " it's the most popular", take it because you want to. What's best for the majority may not always be best for you. Have a sit down and brainstorm careers you would be interested in and if maths is beneficial, then do it. A "B" at GCSE shows sufficient mathematical ability to be able to do A level maths if you put your mind to it.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh mate nothings hard if you put your mind to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Tbh mate nothings hard if you put your mind to it
    Here here

ReputationRep:
    It's just GCSE maths but with more steps, I found the further maths taster days really easy and straightforward... (we did Newtons 3rd law etc)

(Original post by 3Goku)
    I just did a taster session today in class to see what A level maths is like, and it was horrible, i did not get anything!? For GCSE im 100% certain i got a B but quite it wasnt a high B rougly 98-108 ums or so. I want to do maths because everyone is doing it and it is the most popular , and it also leads to many other careers but i just dont know if i should do it? just 1 hour of A level maths overview and i was lost..
    Some areas you will find easy whereas other areas you will struggle with and need to apply more time and effort, however it's nowhere near impossible, quite the opposite

If you want to perform well in maths related subjects such as A-level chemistry and especially physics you'll be fine if you did well in GCSE level maths, not that all aspects require the application of maths, however if you are going on to chemistry and more particularly engineering/physics/computer science degrees maths at A-level is essential.

Actually even though you don't use much A-level maths in other A-level subjects, you are at an advantage in nearly all worthwhile degree courses with a maths A-level

ReputationRep:
    C1 and C2 are relatively straightforward in terms of content really. If you work hard, and practice - yes, practice, do lots and lots of practice, you can solve any C1 or C2 paper with ease. C1 is a nice lead on from GCSE, and C2 is a step up, but again, if you work for it, nothing is impossible. I find though that it would help being confident in your maths before you get to the exams, know that what you're doing is right, and make sure you enjoy maths, because if you don't it might hurt you in the exams - despite getting 90%+ on past papers I messed up in exams, and probably got lower, and scraped an A.
    The applied module for AS is the trickiest bit in my opinion. Mechanics and decision is basically entirely new to you. Even S1 is a different style to GCSE, and I feel like you really need to understand what's going on as with applied modules they can really vary the questions. In core maths, it's just a case of knowing it, understanding it, then solving every problem and learning through that, the more problems you do, the better you'll get in those.

A2 maths is obviously more difficult than AS, but it isn't insane. I've done C3 and C4 too, and there are some confusing topics. C4 integration can be quite challenging at first, and can throw you off, and make you feel like you're doing something genuinely hard, but again with practice from day 1 you can do well.

If you like maths, do A-level maths!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.