Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here is a bunch of stuff I have done regarding volunteering/work experience and extra curricular activities. Is this good? What else can I do to stand out? I am applying to top UK and US unis like Oxbridge, UCL, Duke, Yale etc. (UK: English lit/History/Philosophy personal statement). I also know that Us unis look for quality, not quantity. My voluntary activities have lasted at least a year each and I am still continuing with some of them and as for hobbies, I have been doing them over a long period of time.

volunteered at two primary schools in different countries teaching English and Russian
    Visited elderly people with dementia at a care home
    translations for a number of online organisations
    Dog walking for a shelter
    Volunteering at horse stables
    Work at a cat shelter (I love animals )
    THIMUN conference thing for students (I was an admin)

I also have some hobbies: I play the piano (grade 8), violin (grade3) :musicus: , play badminton at a club, windsurfing, running, art (I put up my artwork on a website and I used to have lessons).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almannac)
    Ok, here is a bunch of stuff I have done regarding volunteering/work experience and extra curricular activities. Is this good? What else can I do to stand out? I am applying to top UK and US unis like Oxbridge, UCL, Duke, Yale etc. (UK: English lit/History/Philosophy personal statement). I also know that Us unis look for quality, not quantity. My voluntary activities have lasted at least a year each and I am still continuing with some of them and as for hobbies, I have been doing them over a long period of time.

volunteered at two primary schools in different countries teaching English and Russian
    Online translation might be a bit meh, but it depends on what sort of things you were translating, and who you are translating for.
    THIMUN admin work will be interesting to the unis.
    I would suggest trying to get more leadership roles if possible, or volunteering/participating in a group activity. What you have here primarily looks like solo work, not something involving team work as much.

I also have some hobbies: I play the piano (grade 8), violin (grade3), play badminton at a club, windsurfing, running, art (I put up my artwork on a website and I used to have lessons).
    Those are par for the course, not the exception. Only way those would be interesting would be if you were in leadership/competition.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by almannac)

I also have some hobbies: I play the piano (grade 8), violin (grade3) :musicus: , play badminton at a club, windsurfing, running, art (I put up my artwork on a website and I used to have lessons).
    It's ok, but that stuff is mostly bare minimum.

Have you led anything (school club, volunteer trip, tour guide, company, organisation)? Have you assumed responsibility (prefect, school council, local council)? Have you received recognition (awards, commendations)?

ECs aren't a big deal in the UK. A small para about it in your PS is fine.

For top tier US unis, it's much more important and you'll need to show passion and substance in your ECs through the application essays - doing a few just as something to do isn't going to cut the mustard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.