Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First time on this site. Thank you for reading this.

I would love to hear your feedback..I was accepted to the following schools.
    Sussex, Dundee, Queen's, Newcastle..

I am looking for a school that is smaller, well respected and does work in Human Rights..Eventually, I hope that I can practice some type of human rights law ( yes, I know that the LLB won't cover human rights)

I'm looking for a school that has dynamic lectures, a socratic teaching style and a place where great law firms will come and recruit..

I should add that I am from Canada..

Students attending any of these schools that could weigh in with their experiences at these schools would be helpful..

Since I don't live in the UK I am curious to hear from UK students about their thoughts on these schools.

I am too late to apply to Oxbridge..that said would I be wiser to wait a year and apply to top tier schools (LSE, Cambridge..)..or since this is an undergrad and I will do a masters

Thank you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watercolour2)
    Hi,

First time on this site. Thank you for reading this.

I would love to hear your feedback..I was accepted to the following schools.
    Sussex, Dundee, Queen's, Newcastle..

I am looking for a school that is smaller, well respected and does work in Human Rights..Eventually, I hope that I can practice some type of human rights law ( yes, I know that the LLB won't cover human rights)

I'm looking for a school that has dynamic lectures, a socratic teaching style and a place where great law firms will come and recruit..

I should add that I am from Canada..

Students attending any of these schools that could weigh in with their experiences at these schools would be helpful..

Since I don't live in the UK I am curious to hear from UK students about their thoughts on these schools.

I am too late to apply to Oxbridge..that said would I be wiser to wait a year and apply to top tier schools (LSE, Cambridge..)..or since this is an undergrad and I will do a masters

Thank you..

When you say Queen's do you mean Queen's University Belfast? If so I would pick Newcastle out of all of those, its a Russell Group university (as is Queen's but not as well known). If you have not heard of the Russell Group it is a group of 24 leading research universities in the UK, these are known to be the UK's most prestigious universities. It includes Oxbridge but Oxbridge is usually regarded as separate due to its elite status. In the UK, getting your foot in the door for a good law job depends a fair amount on the prestige of your university. Dundee or Sussex would not help you get you very far in Law.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the reply.

Yes, Queens University Belfast..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORW)
    When you say Queen's do you mean Queen's University Belfast? If so I would pick Newcastle out of all of those, its a Russell Group university (as is Queen's but not as well known). If you have not heard of the Russell Group it is a group of 24 leading research universities in the UK, these are known to be the UK's most prestigious universities. It includes Oxbridge but Oxbridge is usually regarded as separate due to its elite status. In the UK, getting your foot in the door for a good law job depends a fair amount on the prestige of your university. Dundee or Sussex would not help you get you very far in Law.
    What evidence do you have for making the assertion at the end?

Current Dundee Law School graduates include the present UK judge at the European Court of Human Rights, a judge on the British Supreme Court, multiple Senators of the College of Justice, academics, politicians, diplomats and successful lawyers.

Academics at the university have been asked to provide assistance for the Scottish, British and European Parliaments, for the United Nations, for charities and businesses. They've written books, some of which are leading in their field, they regularly contribute to journals, and some have been cited in the European Courts. In the most recent 'Research Assessment Exercise', 100% of the Law School's output was deemed to be of an 'international standard'.

In the Guardian's 2017 ranking, the Law School was ranked 8th in the UK and 1st in Scotland.

Dundee may not be Oxford but it is well respected.

ReputationRep:
    My two cents: outside of oxbridge, London is very well respected, and London unis offer human rights courses as optional modules in the second or third year. Cardiff also has a large Canadian population, as does Leicester.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.