Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finding my Hospital placement difficult (nursing student ) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am finding my placement difficult at the moment, I am nearly finished and I am exhausted. People in my group of classmates tell me their placement is interesting, fun and they love going in. I am tired of being criticised constantly and its such a motivation killer. I wonder if being a mature student had something to do with it, I just want to go home ( I am studying away from home). I have given the university and placement everything I got, I really don't have anymore. I am running on empty.

Do other mature students find placement tricky? like you are not allowed to be an adult but must act like a teenager or play dumb. I find the learning to be a teacher talking "down" to primary school child approach is the most popular method of teaching. But if I consult my other mature students colleagues studying business or computing their do not have the same problems.

I know it sounds stupid but I am ready to pack it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applesandpears1)
    I am finding my placement difficult at the moment, I am nearly finished and I am exhausted. People in my group of classmates tell me their placement is interesting, fun and they love going in. I am tired of being criticised constantly and its such a motivation killer. I wonder if being a mature student had something to do with it, I just want to go home ( I am studying away from home). I have given the university and placement everything I got, I really don't have anymore. I am running on empty.

Do other mature students find placement tricky? like you are not allowed to be an adult but must act like a teenager or play dumb. I find the learning to be a teacher talking "down" to primary school child approach is the most popular method of teaching. But if I consult my other mature students colleagues studying business or computing their do not have the same problems.

I had a really difficult placement last year so I know where you are coming from. It's such a shame because we are supposed to learn and get the most out of this experience because we won't have that opportunity when we qualify. Mentors forget that they were once a student so surely they should understand that you don't and will not know everything-it's a learning curve. If you feel like you have been treated unfairly and it may affect the outcome of your placement then talk to your PPM and your personal tutor at uni. They shall be able to support you and hopefully resolve it quickly. Good luck

(Original post by applesandpears1)

I struggled with my final placement in nursing (mental health) , i was put on community and i think i found it hard for 3 main reasons. Id never had a community placement before and it felt more like office work which scared me. My mentor was strict and critiqued many things with no positive feedback. Another reason is that I should have prepared more really as my knowledge of drugs and ability to do careplans was lacking. On my other placements i was praised a lot and so couldnt understand why suddenly everything i did seemed wrong.

I went home feeling very sick and stressed several times lol as i just felt it was impossible to please the team, it was mainly my mentor and another nurse that i felt were harsh. Id just passed my driving test months earlier and was nervous still about driving in unfamiliar places which just added to the stress of doing visits.

My mentor wanted me to teach a first year student how to give an injection but she secretly told the student to think of some questions to ask me about the drug and told her not to tell me that she was going to ask them. So after teaching the student i was bombarded with all these questions and many of them i couldnt answer. I should have prepared better and arguably should have known the answers but then i only thought that i was teaching her the correct technique.

I would have been ok if my mentor told me to prepare for questions on the drug as ive not worked with that particular drug for a while and cant remember everything, so thought it would have been more generous of her to tell me that id be asked questions. But maybe thats just me, maybe i should have used more initiative.

She was very critical over what i felt were minir things for example she asked what would i do if i hit a capillary (drew back blood during an im injection). I said that i would discard the needle and tell the patient what had happened, that it was nothing serious and ask permission to re inject. She said 'be careful with your wording as using the word 'serious' could get the patient worried'. I felt she was very picky and that in order to pass id need to be a clone of her. She she wrote on my feedback that i lacked knowledge and i had to do a retrieval at the same place.

The manager told my personal tutor that i was anxious and was asking questions that i should have known by now. So i stopped asking questions and was then told by my mentor that i needed to show more intetest by asking questions lol. She critiqued a lot of things that i wrote in care plans and on assessments. I felt that everyone was against me rather than supporting me. Even though the manager told my personal tutor that the team were here to support me it didnt feel like it. I got through it eventually by working very hard and getting help off my aunt who's a nurse she gave me lots of useful tips to guide me.

Just thought id share my experience lol as i know how it feels to struggle and have people assessing/watching you. As for advice id say prepare the best you can, ask exactly what they are looking for when assessing and actually show your mentor your preparation and the work you are putting in. Turn up to work early and if possible stay behind to complete work/go the extra mile. Try not to stress, you can only do your best and stress doesnt help so theres no point worrying. Failing is not the end of the world i know several nurses who failed and they all have ended up nurses eventually, even if they have to retake a year.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your reply... it helps to know I am not the only one struggling.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I struggled with my final placement in nursing (mental health) , i was put on community and i think i found it hard for 3 main reasons. Id never had a community placement before and it felt more like office work which scared me. My mentor was strict and critiqued many things with no positive feedback. Another reason is that I should have prepared more really as my knowledge of drugs and ability to do careplans was lacking. On my other placements i was praised a lot and so couldnt understand why suddenly everything i did seemed wrong.

I went home feeling very sick and stressed several times lol as i just felt it was impossible to please the team, it was mainly my mentor and another nurse that i felt were harsh. Id just passed my driving test months earlier and was nervous still about driving in unfamiliar places which just added to the stress of doing visits.

My mentor wanted me to teach a first year student how to give an injection but she secretly told the student to think of some questions to ask me about the drug and told her not to tell me that she was going to ask them. So after teaching the student i was bombarded with all these questions and many of them i couldnt answer. I should have prepared better and arguably should have known the answers but then i only thought that i was teaching her the correct technique.

I would have been ok if my mentor told me to prepare for questions on the drug as ive not worked with that particular drug for a while and cant remember everything, so thought it would have been more generous of her to tell me that id be asked questions. But maybe thats just me, maybe i should have used more initiative.

She was very critical over what i felt were minir things for example she asked what would i do if i hit a capillary (drew back blood during an im injection). I said that i would discard the needle and tell the patient what had happened, that it was nothing serious and ask permission to re inject. She said 'be careful with your wording as using the word 'serious' could get the patient worried'. I felt she was very picky and that in order to pass id need to be a clone of her. She she wrote on my feedback that i lacked knowledge and i had to do a retrieval at the same place.

The manager told my personal tutor that i was anxious and was asking questions that i should have known by now. So i stopped asking questions and was then told by my mentor that i needed to show more intetest by asking questions lol. She critiqued a lot of things that i wrote in care plans and on assessments. I felt that everyone was against me rather than supporting me. Even though the manager told my personal tutor that the team were here to support me it didnt feel like it. I got through it eventually by working very hard and getting help off my aunt who's a nurse she gave me lots of useful tips to guide me.

Just thought id share my experience lol as i know how it feels to struggle and have people assessing/watching you. As for advice id say prepare the best you can, ask exactly what they are looking for when assessing and actually show your mentor your preparation and the work you are putting in. Turn up to work early and if possible stay behind to complete work/go the extra mile. Try not to stress, you can only do your best and stress doesnt help so theres no point worrying. Failing is not the end of the world i know several nurses who failed and they all have ended up nurses eventually, even if they have to retake a year.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your reply and advice

(Original post by ~scorpio~)
    I had a really difficult placement last year so I know where you are coming from. It's such a shame because we are supposed to learn and get the most out of this experience because we won't have that opportunity when we qualify. Mentors forget that they were once a student so surely they should understand that you don't and will not know everything-it's a learning curve. If you feel like you have been treated unfairly and it may affect the outcome of your placement then talk to your PPM and your personal tutor at uni. They shall be able to support you and hopefully resolve it quickly. Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.