Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

So, this is my first time posting on the forums but I have read them in the past.

My current predicament is this: I'm looking to become an audio engineer (live sound specifically) which I have an interest in but I have limited experience other than some stuff I did at school which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I've been reading up on a load of websites including CCSkills and the National Careers Service and have come to the conclusion that I am going to contact some local studios etc. and see if they would take me on for some un-payed work to get some experience (the college route is not really for me).

The thing is, will a company be willing to take me on if I got in contact? There are only really a handful of studios/audio hire companies near me so it really would be a shot in the dark.

Does anyone have any advice/experience which could possibly help me in my situation?

Thanks in advance, Sam
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by milb_sa)

My current predicament is this: I'm looking to become an audio engineer (live sound specifically) which I have an interest in but I have limited experience other than some stuff I did at school which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Have you considered theatres? There are also AV companies that work for schools and events etc which will have a large sound component. Hospital radio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Have you considered theatres? There are also AV companies that work for schools and events etc which will have a large sound component. Hospital radio?
    Thanks for your reply. I've just looked up where my nearest theatre is based on your suggestion and as it turns out there's one close to me and I'm gonna email them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.