Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
B1003 – Political Parties Funding Bill 2016, Nigel Farage MEP MP
Political Parties Funding Bill 2016

A
BILL
TO

To place restrictions on the ability of trade unions funding political parties.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1 Unsolicited funding and advertisement

(1) Trade union members cannot automatically be signed up for donating towards a political party.
(2) Trade union members must opt in to donate to a political party funded by their trade union.
(3) Trade unions must not use unsolicited advertisements to advertise membership for a particular political party to any trade union members.
(4) Trade unions must not use unsolicited advertisements to advertise donating to a particular political party to any trade union members

2 Solicited funding and advertising

(1) A trade union may advertise membership or funding options of a political party to a trade union member if;
a. the trade union member chose to hear information about political parties when joining the trade union.
(2) Trade unions must ask all members joining the trade union if the member wishes to receive communication of information about political parties, or funding political parties.
a. Trade unions may only ask the member once when the member joins the trade union.

3 Amount of funding

Trade unions may donate a maximum of £50 per trade union member to a political party.

4 Fines

Any trade union found in breech of this bill shall be subjected to a fine not exceeding £5m, or 33% of its total membership fees, whichever is smallest.

5 Interpretations

(1) Funding is to be interpreted as any money passed from a trade union to a political party.
(2) In this Act a “trade union” means an organisation (whether temporary or permanent)—
(a)which consists wholly or mainly of workers of one or more descriptions and whose principal purposes include the regulation of relations between workers of that description or those descriptions and employers or employers’ associations; of
(b)which consists wholly or mainly of—
(i)constituent or affiliated organisations which fulfil the conditions in paragraph (a) (or themselves consist wholly or mainly of constituent or affiliated organisations which fulfil those conditions), or
(ii)representatives of such constituent or affiliated organisations, and whose principal purposes include the regulation of relations between workers and employers or between workers and employers’ associations, or the regulation of relations between its constituent or affiliated organisations.
(3) Unsolicited information is contacting a member, or potential member, of the trade union to inform that member of a political party, joining a political party, the activities of any political party, potentially donating to a political party, or opting in to a trade union scheme that then donates to a political party, where the worker has chosen not to receive communications.

6 Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This Act shall come into force on the 1st April 2017.
(2) This Act may be cited as the Party Funding 2016.

Notes

This is a bill to place restrictions on trade unions donating to political parties, under this bill all members of a trade union will be contacted in a neutral way about funding, or joining a political party. This bill prevent trade unions from advertising funding a political party, or a joining a political party to a member if the member did not opt in to receiving political communications from the trade union.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I see no logic other than to attack labour money so nay.
Personally I belive that all major parties should be publicly funded anyway.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If there are to be maximum spending limits then restrictions should not just apply to trade union members. They should be party total funding.
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A direct unjustified attack on the left. Nay.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Basically a way to hurt Labour, nay.
DanE1998
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To quote Nigel the man himself:

"This is not funny, it is a silly bill that should not have been accepted: there is no basis for bills like this."
username1899909
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would have considered it briefly if this was a universal cap, not allowing individuals, unions, or businesses to donate more than a certain amount. However this is is simply an ideologically driven attack on trade unions who should use their money how they best see fit to in order to protect their members, and at current moment that is to donate that money to the Labour Party.

In short I don't know how this can be seen as anything more than an attempt to destroy the Labour Party and undermine trade unionism in this Country by someone who has all but admitted hating trade unions.
Mactotaur
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
I would have considered it briefly if this was a universal cap, not allowing individuals, unions, or businesses to donate more than a certain amount. However this is is simply an ideologically driven attack on trade unions who should use their money how they best see fit to in order to protect their members, and at current moment that is to donate that money to the Labour Party.

In short I don't know how this can be seen as anything more than an attempt to destroy the Labour Party and undermine trade unionism in this Country by someone who has all but admitted hating trade unions.
I don't believe there's much more that needs to be said on the matter.

Nay, if it wasn't already clear.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would vote aye if it was without the maximum donation.

With the maximum funding then it is a nay
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's obviously a nay from me but I would like to commend Nigel for his legislation output recently.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"it will hurt my party, I don't care about people being deceived into paying for something they don't believe in"

Posted from TSR Mobile
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
"it will hurt my party, I don't care about people being deceived into paying for something they don't believe in"

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Ah yes I will join this trade union thing, which certainly aren't well known for the historic over a century old link to the labour party who I dislike"

Everyone and their mothers know that trade unions are affiliated to, and donate to, the Labour Party. Additionally every Labour MP, MEP, MSP, AM and Cllr has to be Union backed as well although that is less well known.

If someone has such an issue with this there are some Unions which are not affiliated and don't donate to the Party and they can join those Unions should they wish to.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Ah yes I will join this trade union thing, which certainly aren't well known for the historic over a century old link to the labour party who I dislike"

Everyone and their mothers know that trade unions are affiliated to, and donate to, the Labour Party. Additionally every Labour MP, MEP, MSP, AM and Cllr has to be Union backed as well although that is less well known.

If someone has such an issue with this there are some Unions which are not affiliated and don't donate to the Party and they can join those Unions should they wish to.
They all know so well and how to opt out that basically nobody does when one would expect a reasonable opt out rate.

Flip it on its head and the very first thing on the form in massive letters will be "TICK THIS BOX TO DONATE TO LABOUR!!!!!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
They all know so well and how to opt out that basically nobody does when one would expect a reasonable opt out rate.

Flip it on its head and the very first thing on the form in massive letters will be "TICK THIS BOX TO DONATE TO LABOUR!!!!!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Or maybe those who join are happy with their membership, happy with their unions, happy with what they unions are doing to protect them and their rights, including funding both labour candidates and the party itself.

Now if you want to make it easier to leave unions then go ahead, I can't disagree with that, do it through a BIS SoI saying Unions will be mandated to make it clear how one can leave the union. I do not and never can back this completely ideologically driven attempt to stop trade unios standing up for their membership and to also destroy the other major party in Uthe UK
Wellzi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, a clear attack on labour's funding.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Or maybe those who join are happy with their membership, happy with their unions, happy with what they unions are doing to protect them and their rights, including funding both labour candidates and the party itself.

Now if you want to make it easier to leave unions then go ahead, I can't disagree with that, do it through a BIS SoI saying Unions will be mandated to make it clear how one can leave the union. I do not and never can back this completely ideologically driven attempt to stop trade unios standing up for their membership and to also destroy the other major party in Uthe UK
If it were legal for big businesses to take money out of wages to fund the Tories without explicit consent I'm sure you would all be at tje front of the queue to make it opt in. Do you believe that one should have money donated without their explicit consent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise