Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Examiners watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im super worried that the examiners will mark my papers wrong!! I've been reading a lot of articles about how they're getting lazy, and a fair few about how OCR have failed to correct a lot of mistakes made in their making, which really worries me as most of my exams are OCR! And how they sometimes get stuff wrong so it has to be remarked and they get more money... i get the time pressure and stuff, but seriously?! It may just be "yet another paper" to mark for them, but this is a student's future!!! ****ing hell...

Anyway yeah im really worried and wondering if anyone else has thought about this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuffin29)
    Im super worried that the examiners will mark my papers wrong!! I've been reading a lot of articles about how they're getting lazy, and a fair few about how OCR have failed to correct a lot of mistakes made in their making, which really worries me as most of my exams are OCR! And how they sometimes get stuff wrong so it has to be remarked and they get more money... i get the time pressure and stuff, but seriously?! It may just be "yet another paper" to mark for them, but this is a student's future!!! ****ing hell...

Anyway yeah im really worried and wondering if anyone else has thought about this??
    Sorry if this (will probably) worries you more but I think 2 years ago OCR marked so wrongly and they guessed grades. However, (good news) I think there were investigations and so they'll be better this year I think not sure lol.

Most my exams are edexcel. I have no OCR. If it happens you can just get a remark. I mean it's so stupid how they mess up a student's life by not caring that much but what can we do? If you are sure you got a better mark than what came up on your results then ask for a remark I know people who went from Us to A*s haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Oh my god atleast im not tbe only one yess i worrh about this my blood pressure rises when i hear theses cases too but what can we do its out of our handss if its another paper its another paper hoe do we know we dont just pray and you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    This is like, this sounds very cocky but I know that I've done well in these exams?? But if it comes back and I've got a C or something, i'll know they've royally screwed up!! Haha we'll see, just worries me so much

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be worried tbh. The media is very good at making you believe everything they say. You can always get them remarked and if it does go up you get your money back so either way your fine. Plus exam boards are always looking to improve otherwise schools wouldn't choose them. Just enjoy your summer either way and don't think about it. Remarks barley change anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i really wish examiners were given more time to mark papers. it's really hard to thoroughly mark the questions of hundreds and hundreds of students per examiner in the space of a couple weeks. a couple of marks could often make the difference between two grades, and making it to an offer or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arima)
    i really wish examiners were given more time to mark papers. it's really hard to thoroughly mark the questions of hundreds and hundreds of students per examiner in the space of a couple weeks. a couple of marks could often make the difference between two grades, and making it to an offer or not.
    Apparently they mark all the papers a few weeks before results day so they have plenty of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

There's no use worrying about exams. I did OCR science last year and it was marked correctly and so was the schools. If you are going to worry about anything then worry about coursework. And CIE by far are the worst markers.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Think examiners get something like £4 a paper. Maybe pay them more and then they can spend more time on marking it. If you dont get all A* then demand a remark and point them towards the newspaper articles showing them they arent really up to the task of marking an exam or even setting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Think examiners get something like £4 a paper. Maybe pay them more and then they can spend more time on marking it. If you dont get all A* then demand a remark and point them towards the newspaper articles showing them they arent really up to the task of marking an exam or even setting it.
    £2.50 hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't necessarily get more money by people getting remarks because if the grade goes up the money is refunded

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the amount of money paid to examiners should be based on the subject they are marking. It seems the only fair way...

An examiner marking an exam paper for a Language (an example), let's take a reading/listening paper..most language exams are multiple choice and it takes a few minutes just to tick the correct answers and total up the marks, so this should be paid a very low wage.

Marking something that takes some time like a science or maths exam should be paid a medium wage.

Marking something subjective like a long essay writing subject like English, history, R.E or Drama should be paid a higher wage as the mark schemes are also quite vague and the 'best fit' approach must be applied!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have WJEC for English and my teachers were saying how even the top people in the school were given Us and stuff and when our teachers checked the papers almost all of them should have been given a lot higher grades. Nothing much we can really do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.