Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Or is there a chance that the referendum is overturned? Like the politicians go against it anyway?

ReputationRep:
    We have not officially left yet, no. We have just voted as a country that we intend to leave. The government could merely ignore it in theory, but of course, in reality they wouldn't.

The most likely means of leaving is through invoking article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. We don't have to do that right this moment. We can do that whenever. But the moment we do we have a ticking clock of 2years to make any deals about how we leave/to what extent and so on. After that passes we legally get kicked out and lose its benefits, but also its cons with regards to its regulations!

ReputationRep:
    The EU could still pose better deals for Britain in attempts to persuade Britain to remain, but I severely doubt it...

We're leaving!! Woop woop!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    We're leaving!! Woop woop!!!!
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    We have not officially left yet, no. We have just voted as a country that we intend to leave. The government could merely ignore it in theory, but of course, in reality they wouldn't.

The most likely means of leaving is through invoking article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. We don't have to do that right this moment. We can do that whenever. But the moment we do we have a ticking clock of 2years to make any deals about how we leave/to what extent and so on. After that passes we legally get kicked out and lose its benefits, but also its cons with regards to its regulations!
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    The EU could still pose better deals for Britain in attempts to persuade Britain to remain, but I severely doubt it...
    Although i never had much of an opinion on it (didn't care much), I've seen a lot of people very passionate about this referendum and I was expecting the UK to remain because that's the "safe option" we've always had. Didn't imagine the outcome to be leave.

I'm excited about the potential changes. Not about Nigel Farage now becoming more popular (thanks to this boost).

Should be interesting. I know a lot of remain voters will be gutted.

ReputationRep:
    I predict the leave date will be in early 2019.

ReputationRep:
    It took Greenland over 3 years to leave, it'll take quite a fair amount longer for the UK and hopefully change their intentions by then

ReputationRep:
    The EU in its current form is finished, the new model will be a loose trade bloc of sovereign democratic states.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.