The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

If 16-18 years old were allowed to vote in the referendum, then it's very likely that remain would have actually won. There's a very clear trend that shows how the elderly are very anti EU while the younger people tend to be pro EU. It's very frustrating for me as a 17 year old to see decisions being made by people who will honestly die within the next 10 years while I am unable to have a say. The future belongs to us, the youth.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They deserve the right to vote, mate. It's unfair to say because 'they'll die within the next few years' that you are owed the vote more than them. Kind of disgusting actually.

So many people of the older generation have never had the chance to vote on this issue. They deserved their say.
No many youngsters decisions are dictated by other people I've seen
Original post by celloel
They deserve the right to vote, mate. It's unfair to say because 'they'll die within the next few years' that you are owed the vote more than them. Kind of disgusting actually.

So many people of the older generation have never had the chance to vote on this issue. They deserved their say.

They deserve their say, and so do I!!! Sadly the truth is they won't live to see the longer term effects of their vote, but my generation will.
Reply 4
Young people aren't allowed to vote because the younger you are the more susceptible you are to biased opinions, unable to form your own. I understand this may not be everyone, but typically this is the case.
c'est la vie
Oh please, most 16 - 18 year olds are clueless when it comes to politics and making important decisions.
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Mason
Oh please, most 16 - 18 year olds are clueless when it comes to politics and making important decisions.

Original post by GUMI
Young people aren't allowed to vote because the younger you are the more susceptible you are to biased opinions, unable to form your own. I understand this may not be everyone, but typically this is the case.
c'est la vie

As a 16 year old (Year 12), I completely agree with both of you. The amount of people in my college basing their political decisions/opinions on what their teachers tell them is ridiculous.
They complain about uneducated people voting out then say let 16 year olds vote.
Reply 8
I have to say I agree with you there, my entire family voted out but if I had the chance I would have voted in.
I really think if they gave 16-18 year olds the education about the referendum (the pros and cons, impacts etc) then the result could have almost definitely gone the other way.
To be honest I think the main reason why people voted out was to stop immigration and they haven't thought about the other consequences.
But there we go that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue_Mason

Some might be, but certainly not all. My circle of friends take great interest in political matters and we were all so annoyed+frustrated that we would not be allowed to vote.

But I do think schools need to do more in terms of political education then perhaps one day 16 year olds having the vote will be a reality. Scotland allowed them to vote and their turnout was quite high
Reply 10
I have seen so many people lament old people's choices, citing the fact that old people will die sooner. Yes, true. But what do you honestly think should be the solution? No democracy for you, sorry, you're over 65! Utterly disgusting, and I think if I was of such an age I'd find it pretty damn insulting.
And I suppose the terminally ill shouldn't vote either? Hey, you just got terminal cancer? Well, the vote won't affect you for very long, no democracy for you!
Original post by GUMI
c'est la vie

And when we turn 18 we suddenly become so much more politically aware and free thinking?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I have seen so many people lament old people's choices, citing the fact that old people will die sooner. Yes, true. But what do you honestly think should be the solution? No democracy for you, sorry, you're over 65! Utterly disgusting, and I think if I was of such an age I'd find it pretty damn insulting.

I didn't say old people shouldn't be allowed to vote. I said it's unfair that they get to vote whilst 16-18 year olds cannot.
16-18 year olds believe all the **** people say as facts! Most of the UK's 16-18 year olds are so PC as well its funny!
Reply 14
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I didn't say old people shouldn't be allowed to vote. I said it's unfair that they get to vote whilst 16-18 year olds cannot.

Fair. But 14-16 year olds are younger still. And 12-14 year olds even younger still. Why should 16 arbitrarily be decided as the age of sufficient reason? I feel that the vast majority of those under 18 are far more likely to be swayed by peer pressure and pressure from parents.
Reply 15
And when we turn 18 we suddenly become so much more politically aware and free thinking?

Well we have to draw the line somewhere and society has decided 18. And I agree with them, 18 is when people start university and most start living on their own which marks a time of change. With a sense of independence and responsibility don't you agree it's a fitting time to give them a vote too?
I feel that the vast majority of those under 18 are far more likely to be swayed by peer pressure and pressure from parents.

On the other hand, the young ones are more likely to be good informed, because they have no day-job or tough university course hindering them from reading newspapers and discussing all day long. I was definitely far more educated, when I was still at school.
Fair. But 14-16 year olds are younger still. And 12-14 year olds even younger still. Why should 16 arbitrarily be decided as the age of sufficient reason? I feel that the vast majority of those under 18 are far more likely to be swayed by peer pressure and pressure from parents.

16 is when we complete core secondary education, when we can work and contribute taxes, and take on numerous more responsibilities that we could not at 15.
I think people seriously underestimate 16 year olds and their capabilities. It's true that many do lack political knowledge and are easily influenced, but in this day and age it has become so much more easier to become engaged in political matters and educate yourself on them. I do think schools need to do more though
Reply 18
No... they lost by 1.3 million, and there's only 1.5 million 16 and 17 year olds. So even with 80% turnout and 100% of them voting remain, it wouldn't be enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
16 is when we complete core secondary education, when we can work and contribute taxes, and take on numerous more responsibilities that we could not at 15.
I think people seriously underestimate 16 year olds and their capabilities. It's true that many do lack political knowledge and are easily influenced, but in this day and age it has become so much more easier to become engaged in political matters and educate yourself on them. I do think schools need to do more though

Decent points. I certainly would have said when I was 16 that I ought to have the vote...but then I think since then (I am 19) I have very much "fleshed out" in terms of my political views. I am not everyone of course lol, but especially with general elections I think parental influence is so powerful and the vast majority of 16-18 year olds will still have that. I mean even at 18 I think my family voting labour significantly impacted upon me such that I did the same - I did research, I was not ignorant, but that still played a part. Most people I knew of my age just voted for what their families had always voted for.
Perhaps it would be more advisable in this more cut-and-dry and significant issue to lower the voting age.

Quick Reply

Latest