Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK leaving EU: How does this affect university fees for EU students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on going to uni this sept/oct with the use of an EU passport, which meant I would be given the home fees of £9000 and could get tuition loans (though not maintenance).
    And while I know it would take about 2 years or more for the effects to really hit, this still leaves me, and many others, in a precarious position.
    - Will these possible changes still affect those who have already applied?
    Because if I am only eligible for this year, it still affects my course as it's 4 years. If the tuition does rise and I can't get loan I wouldn't be able to afford studying here an would have to leave.
    Am I just being silly? Does anyone else feel this way? or can anyone provide me with some concrete answer because I've looked it up but there have just been general statements.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Virtually certain there will be no affect if you have started your course already as there will be transitional arrangements.
    There will alos be bilateral arrangements for some of the popular countries with which we have good relations or there is a significant amount of student exchanges both ways.

They have more significant things to negotiate about exit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahmarie96)
    I was planning on going to uni this sept/oct with the use of an EU passport, which meant I would be given the home fees of £9000 and could get tuition loans (though not maintenance).
    And while I know it would take about 2 years or more for the effects to really hit, this still leaves me, and many others, in a precarious position.
    - Will these possible changes still affect those who have already applied?
    Because if I am only eligible for this year, it still affects my course as it's 4 years. If the tuition does rise and I can't get loan I wouldn't be able to afford studying here an would have to leave.
    Am I just being silly? Does anyone else feel this way? or can anyone provide me with some concrete answer because I've looked it up but there have just been general statements.
    The U.K. has not left the European Union just yet. Voters have expressed their will and now the Lisbon Treaty will need to be 'triggered', which if I'm not mistaken, means both parties have two years to negotiate its exit from the EU. All in all, very little will change for the next 3-5 years.

Moreover, the rules affecting you will only be for the year you enter higher education; it doesn't change on an year-to-year basis. I know this because I started a student when the £3k cap on fees was still around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.