Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am of course hoping that my precious firstborn will have covered himself in glory, achieved his predicted grades or at least made his grades for his Firm. And I have reasonable grounds to expect this is what will happen.

But, as I am keenly aware this morning, **** happens and just making sure I understand the process and looking at the advice if grades are dropped... when we went to the offer holder day for his Firm, the admissions officer said (to the assembled company) "If you don't make your grades, don't panic, phone us, we are keen to see what we can do, it isn't as if people are beating a path to our door for this subject"

I am not sure I am squaring this with the Student Room information about the process, if I've understood that correctly.

So, on results morning and before he goes to school for his results UCAS Track might show Unconditional Firm if they've already decided they *will* have him. Ta da!

Or it might still show Conditional Firm, he goes to school and finds that he has dropped grades - should he then phone... because that's what admissions for his course said?

Or it might show Rejection - should he phone or only in very specific circumstances ie totally screwy looking result for remarking? Does it sound as though they won't change track to reject unless there's a big across the board drop or they don't hear from you asap to plead your case?

(His insurance is one grade below so my suspicion would be that if his Firm won't have him, his insurance might well not either. These are RG universities who make offers to a very high proportion of applicants for a niche course)

[I am very glad better quality printouts exist than 'in my day' - I was pleased with my good enough results until I realised that what I thought was a B was a smudgy dot matrix and totally unexpected E... Thankfully still got in]
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by dirtmother)
    Having worked in a RG Admissions team, on the phones on results day, that university's position on the day would have been

If you'd got an Unconditional Firm on track, then we'd accepted you, and even if you find you've dropped a grade, that's fine. No need to call.

If you'd got a Conditional Firm on track, we hadn't made a decision on your application yet, do phone us and ask where we are in the process. But note there is no feedback process - you can't influence the decision, you can only better understand the timing of the decision making process and possible alternative options.

If you'd got a Rejection, then sorry, we'd already re-assessed your application against all the other 'near misses' and you hadn't been offered a place. No point in ringing in this circumstance, your time is best spent searching for new options at other institutions.

That's just one process though. Others may be able to say if different institutions handle things in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. It sounds as though the best precautionary action might be for him to contact the department and clarify their 'phone us' statement... maybe check who to phone as the implication did seem to be a conversation rather than just 'when can I expect to hear'. Or just cross that bridge if he comes to it which of course we hope he doesn't. Just don't want us thinking that he should *not* ring if the general advice is wrong for this course and this department and this university.

Possible that some might decide they do not wish to take up their place in an area which will be adversely affected by the referendum result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtmother)
    Thanks. It sounds as though the best precautionary action might be for him to contact the department and clarify their 'phone us' statement... maybe check who to phone as the implication did seem to be a conversation rather than just 'when can I expect to hear'. Or just cross that bridge if he comes to it which of course we hope he doesn't. Just don't want us thinking that he should *not* ring if the general advice is wrong for this course and this department and this university.

Possible that some might decide they do not wish to take up their place in an area which will be adversely affected by the referendum result.
    Just want to confirm threeportdrift's reply that if Track has changed to Unsuccessful, it's Game Over, and time would be better spent working through Clearing quickly. Even if some offer holders do decide to not take up their places, it will not affect those who have been rejected. They have been rejected already because they did not reach the base level of qualification the university has decided it won't drop below, and they will be aiming to do better in clearing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.