Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do universities give out more offers than they have spaces? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I just wanted to know if universities give out more offers than they have spaces. I know for my course at Warwick (History and Sociology), there's around about 15-20 spaces. I've secured an offer for one those spaces, but was wondering, if universities do give more offers than spaces, if every offer holder meets their offer, will they just have to accept everyone? How would they be able to accept everyone in such situations if they don't have enough spaces?

I don't know if I'm right, but can someone explain to me how this works

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone who gets an offer will accept it because they may have other offers meaning the right amount of people will actually study the course in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzy21)
    Not everyone who gets an offer will accept it because they may have other offers meaning the right amount of people will actually study the course in the end.
    Oh okay, thanks

So say the right amount of people who get the offers for my course, so 20 places and exactly 20 people accept their offers, could they still reject me even if I don't meet my offer by like 1 or 2 grades even if there's enough spaces? Could they accept another applicant through clearing if they have higher grades than me although I've made commitment to the uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Oh okay, thanks

So say the right amount of people who get the offers for my course, so 20 places and exactly 20 people accept their offers, could they still reject me even if I don't meet my offer by like 1 or 2 grades even if there's enough spaces? Could they accept another applicant through clearing if they have higher grades than me although I've made commitment to the uni?
    They are only obliged to accept you if you precisely meet (or exceed) the offer. I think it's up to the uni how flexible they want to be with people who miss a grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onica)
    Oh okay, thanks

If you end up going through clearing, it's like reapplying in a way so you are likely to get a new offer. Probably an unconditional one if the course you want to study is eligible for clearing. It is possible for someone with a higher grade to be accepted over you if there are few places available but courses eligible for clearing usually have more than enough places available. Don't worry about it, you'll get into uni. It's not just grades that determine you a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzy21)
    If you end up going through clearing, it's like reapplying in a way so you are likely to get a new offer. Probably an unconditional one if the course you want to study is eligible for clearing. It is possible for someone with a higher grade to be accepted over you if there are few places available but courses eligible for clearing usually have more than enough places available. Don't worry about it, you'll get into uni. It's not just grades that determine you a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks.
    I think I might end up with A* BB but my offer is AAB, so was just worried I might be rejected. I mean although they add up to the same ucas points, Warwick want individual grades.

I'll just have to wait until results, but I'm not optimistic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.