The Student Room Group

Personal Statements

If i copy a portion of a personal statement and replace at least 70% of all the words with synonyms and adding some content to it that is unique to me, would the software they use to check figure it out?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
If i copy a portion of a personal statement and replace at least 70% of all the words with synonyms and adding some content to it that is unique to me, would the software they use to check figure it out?

Yes.

2 sentences identified as similar is enough to flag the software.

Similarity means the software will look for synonyms.
Just don't try it, it isn't worth it. You'll get caught and rejected from every uni you apply to. Just write your own damn statement, it's not that difficult
Reply 4

If you can't write a short PS without using someone else's ideas, then you're going to struggle with uni work. Had you considered a gap year (or two)?
Original post by Klix88
If you can't write a short PS without using someone else's ideas, then you're going to struggle with uni work. Had you considered a gap year (or two)?
I copied it cause i couldn't get something down that felt truly captivating in an hour. Though i am ambitious about it it's easy to put my thoughts down and make it 4000 characters long, but its not easy to captivate the reader. I looked at other personal statements to get an idea on how i should write it i don't see any fault in drawing inspiration from that if it still reflects how i feel. Everyone struggles with university work, its naive to believe that it wouldn't be challenging.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
The clue is in the name though, personal statement. It should reflect you, not someone else's writing. Your own style is what should interest the universities.
Reply 7
I copied it cause i couldn't get something down that felt truly captivating in an hour.

I agree that you can't write a half-decent PS in an hour. I'd forget that kind of time limit if I were you - it needs to be far more considered.

I looked at other personal statements to get an idea on how i should write it i don't see any fault in drawing inspiration from that if it still reflects how i feel. Everyone struggles with university work, its naive to believe that it won't challenge you.

Uni work will of course be challenging. However if your immediate reaction to that challenge is to look for other people's work/words to re-use, then I maintain that you are likely to struggle.

Take your time with your PS - it needs to be worked/reworked over several days. Mine took three weeks to get the way I wanted. If you gave yourself a little more time to think it over, you'd find that your own words would flow more easily.
Original post by -jordan-
The clue is in the name though, personal statement. It should reflect you, not someone else's writing. Your own style is what should interest the universities.
Its not like I'm copying an entire personal statement. I may use an introductory statement from another persons writing, but it may capture how i truly feel. Its the experiences and yes the writing style that matters. But if someone else's words convey it better.
Original post by Klix88
I agree that you can't write a half-decent PS in an hour. I'd forget that kind of time limit if I were you - it needs to be far more considered.

Uni work will of course be challenging. However if your immediate reaction to that challenge is to look for other people's work/words to re-use, then I maintain that you are likely to struggle.

Take your time with your PS - it needs to be worked/reworked over several days. Mine took three weeks to get the way I wanted. If you gave yourself a little more time to think it over, you'd find that your own words would flow more easily.
Its not like I'm copying an entire Personal statement though. I may use an introductory statement that conveys how i feel, similar to using quotes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its not like I'm copying an entire Personal statement though. I may use an introductory statement that conveys how i feel, similar to using quotes.

It doesn't matter. It's wrong, you'll most likely get caught out, and if you go ahead with it I hope you do.

And using quotations is also not a good idea, for the very same reason that the universities want to see how YOU write, not anyone else.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
And using quotations is also not a good idea, for the very same reason that the universities want to see how YOU write, not anyone else.

if i didn't expand on how that quote inspired me than yeah its wrong.
if i didn't expand on how that quote inspired me than yeah its wrong.

It's wrong anyway. It's cliched and makes admissions tutors wince at the pretentiousness. Sorry.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It's wrong anyway. It's cliched and makes admissions tutors wince at the pretentiousness. Sorry.
I would never use it because it is highly overused. However it could still be an authentic representation of what i feel and believe in.
Anyone else wondering if the OP will continue this approach at university? If so, they will hopefully get caught and either kicked out or end up with a rubbish grade, but not until after they have incurred a nice level of debt.
Reply 16
Replacing words and re-phrasing sentences from someone else's PS isn't your own work and it is wrong. Without a doubt it will be picked up. Admissions tutors go through hundreds if not thousands of application. They WILL pick up plagiarism.

It doesn't have to be the most beautifully written thing ever, not everyone has that ability and that might not be something that's crucial to your course. You need to capture your motivations and passion in your PS.

Like someone's said, it's a personal statement for a reason. It's so the admissions tutor can get to know a bit more about you than just your grades so just embrace the opportunity.
I would never use it because it is highly overused. However it could still be an authentic representation of what i feel and believe in.

I'm sure it could represent what you think and believe in. Your job is to do as good a job as the originator of the quotation in expressing those thoughts and beliefs by yourself.

I can't believe you're still considering this, you don't deserve a place at university when there are other people putting time and effort into their statement and not taking the lazy route and plagiarising.

There are plenty of things that are an authentic representation of everyone's feelings, that's why art and literature are popular, because there are characters people resonate with. That doesn't mean you should present someone else's words as yours, whether that's a quote or copying even a small section of someone else's PS. People work hard on their personal statements and UCAS has stringent plagiarism software in place to ensure that people who have genuinely worked hard on their statements and have written something unique to them are allowed to apply. You are not simply entitled to a place at university and the attitude that plagiarism is acceptable simply won't work there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending