The Student Room Group

Brexit on Investment Banking Jobs

So... Brexit actually won. I'm half happy but half concerned about my future at the same time as we see Banks threatening to shift their HQs and jobs from London to EU. How will this affect summer internships and graduate prospect? Thoughts? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

if you're happy about brexit then banking might not be for you
Original post by benedictblue
So... Brexit actually won. I'm half happy but half concerned about my future at the same time as we see Banks threatening to shift their HQs and jobs from London to EU. How will this affect summer internships and graduate prospect? Thoughts? :s-smilie:

Did you vote for Brexit?
Reply 3
Original post by benedictblue

the banking sector is gonna be hit worse than 2007 credit crunch. honestly for young people trying to get internships and jobs in banks there aint much hope. there will be lots of competition for places and honestly your gonna be working intensely.
as someone who studied economics why banks would chose to remain in the UK rather than moving to the EU or Hong Kong is beyond me
Reply 4
There will be fewer jobs but if you're good enough you will still get in. It's not like banking going to disappear. No way.

And there's always accounting or actuarial work that you could go into. Or learn German and move to Germany. I am semi-proficient so if I become fluent I could probably do that,
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by andrewUK
the banking sector is gonna be hit worse than 2007 credit crunch.

They'll take a hit, but surely it won't be that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gr8wizard10
if you're happy about brexit then banking might not be for you

I'm happy/optimistic in the long run, but worried in the short term.
Original post by 999tigger
Did you vote for Brexit?

Nope :K:
Most voters don't care about these bankers. We care about our sovereignty, our freedoms and values that our ancestors fought for which are threatened with by the EU, not whether the bankers get to keep their jobs or not.

If you can't get into banking, boo hoo. Get another job. Something that actually helps our society.
I'm never said I was a leave voter :biggrin: but assume away :dontknow:

I just advocated for the markets to stabilise before making conclusions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by squish562
Most voters don't care about these bankers. We care about our sovereignty, our freedoms and values that our ancestors fought for which are threatened with by the EU, not whether the bankers get to keep their jobs or not.

If you can't get into banking, boo hoo. Get another job. Something that actually helps our society.

You do know banking is Britain strongest most powerful industry. its the reason why we are one of the strongest economies in the world
-london generates approximately 22 per cent of the UK's GDP
-its worth 90 billion
smh
You do know banking is Britain strongest most powerful industry. its the reason why we are one of the strongest economies in the world
-london generates approximately 22 per cent of the UK's GDP
-its worth 90 billion
smh

Most EU trade deals are based on movement of tangible goods rather than financial services. With the possibility of a financial transaction tax in Europe ifthe UK plays it's cards right we will likely be ok.

I voted remain and I recognise how disruptive this is, but lets not lose all perspective here
I can see a lot shifting around of HQs and jobs happening but that'll mostly be the trading/markets teams. IBD will still be here in London and most back office will be here too.

Definitely a poor outcome for the country and industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Most EU trade deals are based on movement of tangible goods rather than financial services. With the possibility of a financial transaction tax in Europe ifthe UK plays it's cards right we will likely be ok.

I voted remain and I recognise how disruptive this is, but lets not lose all perspective here

fair point
i was just showing how reductions in trade with the EU leads to less investment which leads to a weaker financial sector. and then i highlighted the importance of the finanical sector.
the uk could be ok if we maintain access into the single market but given the stance of over EU countries i cant see this happening. unless we give up some control of immigration like norway. however i cant see people who wanted to leave approving this
Original post by Princepieman
I can see a lot shifting around of HQs and jobs happening but that'll mostly be the trading/markets teams. IBD will still be here in London and most back office will be here too.

Definitely a poor outcome for the country and industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm ****ed then.
fair point
i was just showing how reductions in trade with the EU leads to less investment which leads to a weaker financial sector. and then i highlighted the importance of the finanical sector.
the uk could be ok if we maintain access into the single market but given the stance of over EU countries i cant see this happening. unless we give up some control of immigration like norway. however i cant see people who wanted to leave approving this

I'm hopeful we'll get some sort of deal on freedom of movement for EU citizens and that the Brexiteers will be too drunk/delusional to even notice. The EU can try to screw us over to make a demonstration to other EU countries hoping to leave, but we were one of the most significant net contributors along with Germany and France. Their position is far too weak right now to cut off their nose merely to spite their face. Southern Europe is total basketcase right now, I doubt Mr. Juncker would be able to sell poverty to Dutch and German businesspeople for the sole purpose of screwing the Brits.
(edited 7 years ago)
Learn German while at University and move to Frankfurt
Reply 17
Original post by glebp
Learn German while at University and move to Frankfurt

Don't see much point. even tho i wanted to remain i doubt the EU will survive for more than 5 years. 60 years of peace, unity and stability gone like a fart in the wind
Original post by Ladbants
Well I'm ****ed then.

how are you ****ed? swear you arent even at uni yet let alone a trader lol
Original post by Daniel9998
how are you ****ed? swear you arent even at uni yet let alone a trader lol

No I meant because I want to go into trading in the future so the Brexit will probably mean there will be fewer trading jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending