Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How and when will the Brexit influence study opportunities and conditions for EU students in England? Will we be treated like all international students which means that the costs will rise or can I count on finishing my Bsc.on the same conditions I will start with this year?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You will be fine. 2 years for negotiations anyway and even then there will be transitional arrangements. If you are from an EU country we wnat to remain friends with, then there will be a bilateral agreement so students cna go either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilde-die-Wilde)
    How and when will the Brexit influence study opportunities and conditions for EU students in England? Will we be treated like all international students which means that the costs will rise or can I count on finishing my Bsc.on the same conditions I will start with this year?
    the article 50 process has been delayed and anyway, there is a further 2 years of negotiations before any steps are then taken, so you have plenty of time to study in uk in the meantime. i would also imagine there will be some quite lenient student visa to attract the eu students back to uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chakede)
    the article 50 process has been delayed and anyway, there is a further 2 years of negotiations before any steps are then taken, so you have plenty of time to study in uk in the meantime. i would also imagine there will be some quite lenient student visa to attract the eu students back to uk
    So there is no riks of an increase in tution fees for EU students for the next few years? I would actually feel more comfortable if all English Universities would state like UCL:
    “UCL can confirm it has no plans to change the tuition fees for EU students that have already been published for 2016/17. EU students who are registered at the university in 2016/17 (either as a new or continuing student) will continue to be charged the home rate for tuition fees for all subsequent years of their programme.”

ReputationRep:
    So there is no riks of an increase in tution fees for EU students for the next few years? I would actually feel more comfortable if all English Universities would state like UCL:
    “UCL can confirm it has no plans to change the tuition fees for EU students that have already been published for 2016/17. EU students who are registered at the university in 2016/17 (either as a new or continuing student) will continue to be charged the home rate for tuition fees for all subsequent years of their programme.”
    i think once you are registered on a programme, they couldnt alter the fees half-way through. dont worry, we maybe out of EU, but we arnt going to put off students from coming here, universities is still one of the most important industries we have in UK

ReputationRep:
    From my uni:
    Spoiler:
    Show

EU referendum outcome – advice for current and prospective students
    As you will no doubt be aware Britain has voted to leave the European Union. Already, the speculation has begun as to what impact this will have upon different aspects of life, and there are many questions that the government and other bodies will have to focus upon in the coming weeks and months.
    It is important to remember that there will be no immediate change, and for the UK university sector in particular, programmes such as Horizon 2020 and Erasmus+ will continue as normal. The process of negotiating the UK’s exit from the EU will take up to two years and the University along with Universities UK will work with the government to influence the negotiation process.
    Universities UK has offered the following advice this morning:
    For current EU students your immigration status and associated fee status, as well as your access to the student loan book have not changed as a result of the vote. This will remain the case until the government decides otherwise.
    For EU students with a place to start in academic year 2016/17 and 2017/18 , at this stage there is no reason to assume any change to your immigration status or access to the student loan book .
    For EU students studying under the Erasmus programme, your immigration status has not changed and you continue to be eligible for your Erasmus grant for at least as long as the UK remains a member of the EU, and could well be extended beyond this.
    As an internationally focused university, we remain fully committed to supporting our community. Our mission remains to transform lives through education and research, and to offer our students the best experience possible.
    We will, of course, keep you updated in the coming months as more questions are answered and details of the negotiation process become clear.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    There is no reason to change. We are still in the EU until its sorted out. If you want that sourced from YCL, then why not contact UCL?

ReputationRep:
    They won't be able to impose higher fees on you retrospectively you've already signed a contract with them. I imagine it will be like the student fee increase where there will be a first generation who must conform to the rules and those who were in before will continue under their current arrangements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.