Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Now that people have voted for Brexit, what does it mean Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I wake up today morning learning that Britain wants to come out of the EU based on the referendum results. I am not good at politics and have a few questions:
    1. I swear we are officially not out of the EU UNTIL the government sign some section 50 treaty or law. So how did they come to the conclusion that the £ pound value dropped?
    2. Now that Brexit has won, does that mean that the British public such as myself are not able to go to countries such as France and Germany freely and when we feel like it? I remember going to Italy recently and just having to show a passport without a visa.
    3. I know Brexit wasn't the result people were expecting but what does that mean for the future? What about the EU migrants living here?
    Finally, is it still possible for the UK to remain in the EU despite the vote?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samklipas0)
    Hi,

I swear we are officially not out of the EU UNTIL the government sign some section 50 treaty or law. So how did they come to the conclusion that the £ pound value dropped?
    That will happen in 3 months. Enjoy them while you can. then we leave.

Now that Brexit has won, does that mean that the British public such as myself are not able to go to countries such as France and Germany freely and when we feel like it? I remember going to Italy recently and just having to show a passport without a visa.
    You can still go Italy. You can still go to Germany.

I know Brexit wasn't the result people were expecting but what does that mean for the future? What about the EU migrants living here?
    Laws cannot be acted upon retroactively. Nothing happens to them.

Finally, is it still possible for the UK to remain in the EU despite the vote?
    Yes.

Cameron can ignore the vote.

The house of lords can interfere.

They can postpone article 50 for years until the public forget about it.

The vote is no more legally binding than an online poll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    That will happen in 3 months. Enjoy them while you can. then we leave.

You can still go Italy. You can still go to Germany.

Laws cannot be acted upon retroactively. Nothing happens to them.

Yes.

Cameron can ignore the vote.

The house of lords can interfere.

They can postpone article 50 for years until the public forget about it.

The vote is no more legally binding than an online poll.
    Thanks for explaining this.

Just out of interest, how comes we can still go to European countries without a visa after Brexit? I thought joining the EU got us this right or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:

Just out of interest, how comes we can still go to European countries without a visa after Brexit? I thought joining the EU got us this right or am I wrong?
    We don't know this but it's very unlikely not to be the case. Working there is more likely to require a visa but nobody knows until an exit deal is agreed.

ReputationRep:

People wrongly assume that only a political union allows free movement of peoples (far too much ignorance on the topic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    We don't know this but it's very unlikely not to be the case. Working there is more likely to require a visa but nobody knows until an exit deal is agreed.
    I see. Thanks for your response.

What I don't get is if brexit is bad for the economy and this that and the other - why couldn't the government just dismiss it? After all, the vote isn't legally binding

ReputationRep:
    I see. Thanks for your response.

What I don't get is if brexit is bad for the economy and this that and the other - why couldn't the government just dismiss it? After all, the vote isn't legally binding
    They could in theory but it would cause mayhem. I think leaving is ridiculous myself but they have to respect the will of the majority.

I personally think people need to can any thoughts of a second referendum and move on.

ReputationRep:
    samklipas0

If you look at the countries here who have visa free access, I seriously doubt we're gonna need one to go on holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...isa_exemptions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    They could in theory but it would cause mayhem. I think leaving is ridiculous myself but they have to respect the will of the majority.

I personally think people need to can any thoughts of a second referendum and move on.
    I strongly agree that they need to have another referendum - perhaps after the UK has spoken to the EU and negotiated a new deal.

It is quite scary living in the unknown at the moment

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.