Turn on thread page Beta

maths jobs??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If i study mathematics in uni for 3 years, what's the highest paying job that i might end up with at the end of the day? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    footballer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    If i study mathematics in uni for 3 years, what's the highest paying job that i might end up with at the end of the day? Thanks
    It depends what you are looking for (the highest starting salary or highest salary if you are promoted). If you're looking for a high starting salary, being an actuary is well paid (I've seen starting salaries of £50 000, but you do need to study for additional qualifications). However, I'd strongly advise that you look for a job which you will enjoy doing rather than just getting paid slightly higher.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how good you are... In the city as a merchant banker, or a stokebroker, you could make a tonne. But if you enjoy teaching and such, you could earn a fair sum, and know you are helping others reach their potential. Great feeling.

ReputationRep:
    isnt the government considering bringing in higher wages for good maths teachers, due to a shortage of them...i think some maths teachers could be paid £60000 per year in the near future

ReputationRep:
    I hope this 'how much money' is the minority view. I'm doing a degree in Maths because I enjoy maths and want to pursure my interest. Not because I want to get a highly paid finance job at the end (actually, id rather eat **** than be one of those overpaid corporate-******s).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    isnt the government considering bringing in higher wages for good maths teachers, due to a shortage of them...i think some maths teachers could be paid £60000 per year in the near future
    Is it really going to be that high!? Teaching is starting to sound better and better...

ReputationRep:
    To get that high a salary you have to become an 'Advanced Skills Teacher' which you have to train further for, and usually involves you visiting a different school one every two weeks and imparting some of your teaching knowledge to other teachers. SO in theory you could ear £60000 but it will take you a while!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    I hope this 'how much money' is the minority view. I'm doing a degree in Maths because I enjoy maths and want to pursure my interest. Not because I want to get a highly paid finance job at the end (actually, id rather eat **** than be one of those overpaid corporate-******s).
    Precisely. Do a job you'll enjoy. The money's nice, but you'll spend a large proportion of your life in whatever job you choose, so choose something you'll enjoy and not hate for 45 years.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys (including females) i am very interested in maths, but it's just out of curiosity of how much can i earn, that's all. Thanks a lot!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    footballer
    Until you get divorced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    Good maths teachers in short supply... DEFINITELY. I experience some subpar teaching first hand and feel that there should be a given reason for my teachers to buck up their ideas. Im not sure its that much money though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    Exactly what I think too, well put

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 12, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.