Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So recently I made a thread asking for tips on how to make money from my hobby, and basically I've been working on my hobby for over a year now, and I've been giving the things I've made out for free, as I was only learning. This is what's happened recently:
    I found out someone's been making some money from what I made, and I'm not sure how to act, considering I gave it out for free. Should I let them? Or should I ask them to give credit (since they had not?)... What would you do?

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusThePotato)
    So recently I made a thread asking for tips on how to make money from my hobby, and basically I've been working on my hobby for over a year now, and I've been giving the things I've made out for free, as I was only learning. This is what's happened recently:
    I found out someone's been making some money from what I made, and I'm not sure how to act, considering I gave it out for free. Should I let them? Or should I ask them to give credit (since they had not?)... What would you do?

Thanks!!!
    That is absolutely unacceptable. You would have very good grounds to ask them to give credit or even to sue them, since they're making money off something that doesn't belong to them.

Think of what happens on YouTube - if someone uses another person's video or song without permission they might get in hot water - and it's all the more serious when it's a monetised video. It sounds like you're in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieGakusei)
    That is absolutely unacceptable. You would have very good grounds to ask them to give credit or even to sue them, since they're making money off something that doesn't belong to them.

Think of what happens on YouTube - if someone uses another person's video or song without permission they might get in hot water - and it's all the more serious when it's a monetised video. It sounds like you're in a similar situation.
    I've made no real copyright or legal declaration that says I own the things I had made though? Wouldn't I need proof? And worst case scenario, what if they claim it as their own and get the overall authority since there was no claim before?

ReputationRep:
    I've made no real copyright or legal declaration that says I own the things I had made though? Wouldn't I need proof? And worst case scenario, what if they claim it as their own and get the overall authority since there was no claim before?
    What do you make? I'm afraid I haven't seen your other thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieGakusei)
    What do you make? I'm afraid I haven't seen your other thread.
    I didn't say it either on the other thread, but I make assets for people to use in their editing doolalas :DD They're not too great (which is why they're all free) :DD
    And update: I've speedy talked to the guy, he's putting in the credit as soon as possible, so thanks for you as well for helping out :DD <3

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it either on the other thread, but I make assets for people to use in their editing doolalas D They're not too great (which is why they're all free) D
    And update: I've speedy talked to the guy, he's putting in the credit as soon as possible, so thanks for you as well for helping out D <3
    I'm glad I was of some limited use.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.