The Student Room Group

Petition for mandatory teaching of Politics in High Schools

Please sign my petition for mandatory teaching of politics in high schools.
I beleive that our future generation and this one, do not know enough about politics to make proper informed decisions. The nation is divided and the blame isn't on politics, it is on calling people racist, uneducated which is even more driven by the media. What if everyone was educated, people could make decent, informed decisions uninfluenced by the media.

If you agree please sign my petition.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-mp-mandatory-teaching-of-politics-in-high-schools?recruiter=99713860&utm_source=petitions_show_components_action_panel_wrapper&utm_medium=copylink

Scroll to see replies

Not enough people know enough about Politics to make informed decisions. I am sick of the media swaying public opinion. Time to enlighten the nation!
Yeah totally agree, scared that my generation will be able to vote in less than 2 years
It is time to take control of our country, and while politics are under the microscope, lets make this happen.
Good idea, but I don't think that this will do a major difference.

I have a degree in political science, and I know many persons who have such degree as well. Lots of them can't understand basic laws of economy or logic, even though they had courses and had to pass exams on that subjects. They often listen to what they want to hear only. From my observation, the most intelligent, curious and open minded persons, made became the best political scientists- which doesn't mean that they had the best marks! Best marks are achieved by heart-learners-do-every-possible-project-for-additional-ECTS-points-no-matter-abut-what-and-what-I-understood.

I think that studies often only make people to achieve another level of being retarded. Simplified example: a simpleton may be racist, so he wants country's boarders to be shut.
An "educated retard" knows that racism is wrong, so he keeps boarders open whatever happens.
A truly intelligent person may find out, that the matter is more complicated than 0-1 solution and more extensive than only a question of race. So If the question is about danger from terrorists, the intelligent person can make sipleton's decision, because he is aware that most of the Orbital Teapot's followers are not terrorists, but If only 1% of them are terrorists, and one million is coming in, this means that 10 000 of terrorists are coming in.

In Poland we have lessons of politics in high schools and in junior high schools, and most of pupils are as foolish on the subject as vegetables. Actually, they are getting worse, because true problem is somewhere else.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree with you to an extent. But at the same time, we are taught alot of stuff in School which has no significance to our adult lives, at least if this is taught we have a fighting chance of people understanding. I've talked to people today, that don't even understand how a general election works, yet they still vote, this is really damaging to our country. You wouldn't buy a house without understanding how a mortgage works, probably a bad example as I'm sure a lot of people do. Politicians wouldn't be able to pull the wool over the majority if the majority were educated about politics.
so teachers can indoctrinate pupils, NO THANKS
That's a very pessimistic view, so you would rather the media do it instead. At least if it is taught through schools it would be regulated.
Original post by katiemariefryer
That's a very pessimistic view, so you would rather the media do it instead. At least if it is taught through schools it would be regulated.

people should find the information out for themselves...
Some people would, but how many can actually be bothered? Don't we have a social responsibility to ensure people are educated as we do with maths, science, english and sports?
I have sent an email to Nicky Morgan the Education Secretary for ask for support on this petition.

The regulation is the problem because whoever sets the curriculum can easily give preferential treatment to their own ideology.
I Think history of Britain (at least the past 100 years) that is based on politics, economy and society would be much better as it would allow people to decide for themselves what is good and what is bad for their future in this country when voting. Knowing the history of British politics and economy is much better as it allows to see how Britain and its government have performed over the years with all the decisions that are not that different from today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mojojojo101
The regulation is the problem because whoever sets the curriculum can easily give preferential treatment to their own ideology.

But it wouldn't be just one person who sets the curriculum it would have to be agreed upon.
http://www.qca.org.uk/3.html
Original post by katherine9609
I Think history of Britain (at least the past 100 years) that is based on politics, economy and society would be much better as it would allow people to decide for themselves what is good and what is bad for their future in this country when voting. Knowing the history of British politics and economy is much better as it allows to see how Britain and its government have performed over the years with all the decisions that are not that different from today

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is very valid, and obviously my petition is in very early stages, but this is a good idea as to what could be included in the curriculum.
But it wouldn't be just one person who sets the curriculum it would have to be agreed upon.
http://www.qca.org.uk/3.html

That doesn't necessarily mean the curriculum will be immune to political interference.

I'd argue even a fact based teaching of political history and procedure is preferential to the maintenance of the status quo.
Original post by mojojojo101
That doesn't necessarily mean the curriculum will be immune to political interference.

I'd argue even a fact based teaching of political history and procedure is preferential to the maintenance of the status quo.

I disagree, the media creates bias. An agreed upon curriculum based purely on facts giving people a basic understanding of politics will tip that bias. Children will learn not to believe everything they see in the media. One could argue parents should teach this, but we all know there are some parents that believe everything they read in the newspaper or see on the television. That's where social responsibility comes into it. We need to safeguard our youth, ignorance breeds ignorance.
Only the old need this lol.
Original post by 16characterlimit
Only the old need this lol.

I agree everyone needs to be taught. But it isn't feasible. Think about how many young people turn 18 each year, every single one of them gets the entitlement to vote. Then think about how many people who die. We need to educate our future voters in order to gain confidence in our government again.
I disagree, the media creates bias. An agreed upon curriculum based purely on facts giving people a basic understanding of politics will tip that bias. Children will learn not to believe everything they see in the media. One could argue parents should teach this, but we all know there are some parents that believe everything they read in the newspaper or see on the television. That's where social responsibility comes into it. We need to safeguard our youth, ignorance breeds ignorance.

The media creates bias, I agree, but that doesn't mean that any educational establishment won't.

Combating bias with more bias is not exactly helping in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending