Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is nearly the end of my 2nd year and I have achieved 15 Ds so far with another 3 to come shortly once they are marked. Today I received email from one of my teacher's who downgraded one my distinctions achieved in the first year for whatever reason to merit. It was marked as distinction for over a year. I did all the work correctly and I can safely say that I am the best student in this class. I helped nearly everyone in this class with something. It could be a simple question regarding assignments or help with their coding. I don't understand this!
    I want to achieve 18 distinctions. I don't want 17 distinctions and 1 merit. This looks just plain stupid and as if I was lazy. I put a lot of effort into actually learning different languages instead of trying to slip through the BTEC. Teacher blamed this on "standardisation". This email was only sent to me and one other student. There is no way it was only 2 of us doing distinctions for this particular unit (we are both aiming for 18 distinctions overall). I remember this teacher saying few months ago that there is limited amount of students who can achieve distinction for every unit. Is it true? What can I do to receive the grade that I DESERVE?

ReputationRep:
    @@

ReputationRep:
    bump
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ICEN_Prophet)
    Hi, this is nearly the end of my 2nd year and I have achieved 15 Ds so far with another 3 to come shortly once they are marked. Today I received email from one of my teacher's who downgraded one my distinctions achieved in the first year for whatever reason to merit. It was marked as distinction for over a year. I did all the work correctly and I can safely say that I am the best student in this class. I helped nearly everyone in this class with something. It could be a simple question regarding assignments or help with their coding. I don't understand this!
    I want to achieve 18 distinctions. I don't want 17 distinctions and 1 merit. This looks just plain stupid and as if I was lazy. I put a lot of effort into actually learning different languages instead of trying to slip through the BTEC. Teacher blamed this on "standardisation". This email was only sent to me and one other student. There is no way it was only 2 of us doing distinctions for this particular unit (we are both aiming for 18 distinctions overall). I remember this teacher saying few months ago that there is limited amount of students who can achieve distinction for every unit. Is it true? What can I do to receive the grade that I DESERVE?
    1) 17 Distinctions, 1 Merit is still a good grade and is still equal to D*D*D* (420 UCAS points) - I can understand why you'd be ****** if the grade was initially a strong Distinction.

2) I wouldn't think so, I've never met anyone that has had their college follow that absurd rule of (only few students can achieve D on a given unit)

3) Try finding out who your lead IV is and get more information from them (Assuming the lead IV isn't the same as the person that marked your work)

ReputationRep:
    Thats really weird, surely if you've done the work you should get the grade you have earned :/

I got 18 Distinctions in my Extended Diploma and so did 4 others, so that was 5 out of a a class of 21

maybe speak to some one else in the dept.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your responses! I have spoken with my teacher and he talked about me with other staff members, They describe me as an 'exemplary' student and think that I well deserve it. I have now achieved 18 distinctions! Time for summer holiday!

ReputationRep:
    If the course on the first year was classed as a 90 credit diploma and you already have a certificate of units achieved stating you received a distinction the teacher can't lower the grade due to it being technically classed as a another course which is completed.

Edit- Didn't see your above comment, well done! Achieving a distinction for all 18 units is really hard, you should be proud!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.